Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian Children & Pets

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I agree with whats been said about those negligent parents. Vegans don't drink cows milk because nature intended it for calves but human breast milk is meant for human babies therefore its not considered unvegan. To say otherwise is ridiculous. These parents are idiots but not because they're vegan. They're idiots who just happen to be vegan.

corie dora

Cavy Slave
What is disturbing is that they weren't concerned that their baby only weighed a little over 3 pounds. That is just so sad. Why wouldn't they have consulted their doctor (sound as though they didn't use one) about feeding their baby a vegan diet? Why didn't they seek guidance? It is just so horrifying. Yes, the articule is written to a certain audience, but the fact that the child was so under weight is a fact that can't be dismissed. I do not think ignorance is an excuse for the death of a child.

No, not at all. The whole situation is sick really. I wonder if the mother had major PPD, likely if she was drying up, and going through hormonal stuff. I cna't imagine not being concerned if my baby was losing weight like that. I also know what happens when babies don't eat for 24 hrs, they shut down. So, I'm sure that baby was shutting down well before dying. I had some bfing problems which came out of medical complications involved with an emergency c-sec. I thought I had milk, but really I didn't for 10 days. After a day of not peeing, my baby wouldn't wake up at all, we got scared and called our midwife. She said that beacause he wasn't receiving milk, his body was conserving all its energy to put towards breathing, making no sound and hoping that another mother would find him, beacause surely his was dead. Pretty freaky. We ended up having to give him formula for a week (now he has a tonne of food allergies 4 yrs later) and I went through a lot of craziness, but was able to bf exclusively after a short time.

After those feelings I felt when that happened to us, its obvious that any sane mother would never ever be able to watch her baby die of neglect. I'm sure those parents are major major wackos, there has got to be SO much more to that story.

If things went my way, people would have to apply for a license to have children. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which there are more of in this world: accidental poorly cared for children or guinea pigs. Frighteningly, I think it may be children. Sad but true.

Luvthempigs

Cavy Slave
I don't think that formula feeding is a major cause of allergies- I also was formula fed for similar reasons- I was a preemee, and I have very few allergies. (and cow's milk does not cause diabetes, which I've read on another site)

I do agree that that death was not caused by veganism, but by parents who had other issues. If they were that against feeding breast milk, there are soy based formulas.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
I just want to say, that my daughter has been veggie for her entire life, on and off vegan, however had a bit of a heath problem where her body wasn't absorbing protein, the doctor related it somehow back to salmonella when she was a baby (totally exclusively b/f go figure???)

We were told to give fish and meat stock, I couldn't do the stock, my freind did and she wouldn't touch it. My freind also made her tuna patties, she ate like two of them. We ended up going to the homeopath and it was amazing!

Anyhow, she has had boys chase her around trying to 'touch' her with ham and stuff, but you know the ones who do that would find another reason to irritate someone if it weren't this reason. It certainly has affirmed my daughters vegetarian choices, the idea of eating an animal repulses her, she doen'st understand it at all, and NO I have not brainwashed her, to the contrary!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I became vegan when I was breastfeeding my son (who is now 13!). I realised that the cows in the field nextdoor were no different to me. How would I react if someone took my son away from me, just so they could take my milk? I realised how very wrong it was, and stopped consuming anything animal derived whatsoever. I have since lapsed here and there in my strict, unwaivering stance, but continue to strongly feel that taking something from an animal (be it milk/meat/musk), causing it pain of any description - or simply taking what is theirs without necessity is unforgivable - and unneccessary, so limit my contributions to any such practice wholeheartedly.

Mother's milk is naturally what a mother feeds her child, not the milk of the mother of another species. I know it is not always possible, sometimes unbearably so, and sometimes it is not everyone's 'taste' - (I have known vegans who felt repulsed by breastfeeding), but for me it defines the very essence of a vegan lifestyle.

I'm not sure what I think of these young parents, I suppose it's only something they will know the answers to - and it is they who will have to live with the oppressive knowledge of what happened for the rest of their miserable lives.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I don't see how it's even relevant that they were vegans. ALL babies are vegan at that young of an age. You don't feed infants meat until much much later in their life. Six week old babies shouldn't have apple juice (vegan or not)! This is just a case of incredibly, almost unimaginably, ill-informed parents.

And I totally agree about the large number of people who feed their kids processed, sugary etc foods. It's alarming how many parents think that McDonalds chicken nuggets and a carton of chocolate milk is a healthy lunch. And us veggies are always being told how unhealthy and unnatural we are. Huh?!?!?!?!?

akintolife

Cavy Slave
I(and cow's milk does not cause diabetes, which I've read on another site)

Actually there is a study done by Dr Hans K. Akerblom of the University of Helsinki that suggests that cows milk may cause Type 1 diabetes in children. The study has appeared in peer-reviewed publications, which suggests more than anything else that the study does have scientific merit.

There are also several other studies that have been completed that show there are no problems in feeding a baby or child a balanced vegetarian or even vegan diet. The key, as with all diets is ensuring that it is balanced.

As for vegan pets, there are some compelling arguments for vegan pets when consideration of their nutritional needs is taken into account.

Last edited:

Luvthempigs

Cavy Slave
Actually there is a study done by Dr Hans K. Akerblom of the University of Helsinki that suggests that cows milk may cause Type 1 diabetes in children. The study has appeared in peer-reviewed publications, which suggests more than anything else that the study does have scientific merit.

This is hard for me to really believe, because so many children get served milk, and have been served cow's milk over the years, and still such a small percentage have type 1 diabetes. I think it needs more research before I'll believe this one. Aha, did some research, and the risk is for children who have a genetic risk for type 1 diabetes. Not EVERY child is going to respond this way.

There is a problem with type 2 diabetes happening in children, and that's a big problem. However, it's not caused by a meat eating diet, but simply an unhealthy diet in general. I used to nanny for two kids, and even when they were little, their parents didn't limit their portion sizes, the kids were surprised at how little I might eat at a meal, and I was only eating normal portions. Luckily they don't have diabetes now as adults, but they still are large.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
ALL babies are vegan at that young of an age. You don't quote]

...unless they are fed formula milk sourced from cows milk protein!

An aspect of children drinking cow's milk that is concerning, is that the hormones (etc) that the cows are given to produce more milk, are being transferred to children who drink the milk - who are showing signs of puberty at an earlier and earlier age.

Luvthempigs

Cavy Slave
An aspect of children drinking cow's milk that is concerning, is that the hormones (etc) that the cows are given to produce more milk, are being transferred to children who drink the milk - who are showing signs of puberty at an earlier and earlier age.

Yes! this is very scary. Lots of this milk is given out. Personally, I drink milk that is organic and hormone free, but all the milk given out to low income kids is not. There is also research that the heavier a child is, the earlier they hit puberty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.