Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegetarian and gluten-free: Possible?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
So I have been diagnosed with IBS and a gluten intolerance. I cannot eat anything with wheat, rye and barley (oats don't seem to bother me). This includes anything with bread (like sandwiches, hamburgers, brownies, cookies, cake, etc.), pasta, cereals, pretzels and all thick soups/creamy dressings (oh, and BEER!)

That leaves me with a strict diet of meat, fruits, veggies and nuts. As you can imagine, I rely heavily on meat as a part of my diet for sustenance (as my options are limited), but for moral reasons I really want to try vegetarianism.

Is it possible to be both vegetarian AND gluten-free? Are there any of you out there?

And, any tips for my new diet and lifestyle?

Thank you!

Make your own stuff.

I am dairy and gluten free, which brings me to buying gluten-free and vegan goods a lot. In Seattle there's lots of local places that do vegan and gluten free (The Flying Apron and Wheatless in Seattle), but to be cost effective it's best to make your own stuff from scratch. I think you ought to pick up a gluten-free cookbook (such and Deliciously G-free) and then just replace the animal products that it calls for.

Are you an ovo-vegetarian by any chance? Udi's and Rudi's make excellent sandwich breads and pizza crusts and be found at some Safeway locations. Udi's is more your typical sandwich bread, Rudi's is more like potato bread. I'm pretty sure they both contain eggs,though!

For cheese, I really like Daiya. I personally try to avoid soy as well, and this stuff is vegan, GF, soy free. It's mostly cellulose with flavoring agents. Yum.

I also recommend making almondaise for spreads. Almondaise Recipe - Food.com - 474344

My favorite gluten-free pasta is Ancient Harvest Quinoa, also found at Safeway. If you dislike corn products, Tinkyada is my second favorite

Make your own stuff.

I am dairy and gluten free, which brings me to buying gluten-free and vegan goods a lot. In Seattle there's lots of local places that do vegan and gluten free (The Flying Apron and Wheatless in Seattle), but to be cost effective it's best to make your own stuff from scratch. I think you ought to pick up a gluten-free cookbook (such and Deliciously G-free) and then just replace the animal products that it calls for.

Are you an ovo-vegetarian by any chance? Udi's and Rudi's make excellent sandwich breads and pizza crusts and be found at some Safeway locations. Udi's is more your typical sandwich bread, Rudi's is more like potato bread. I'm pretty sure they both contain eggs,though!

For cheese, I really like Daiya. I personally try to avoid soy as well, and this stuff is vegan, GF, soy free. It's mostly cellulose with flavoring agents. Yum.

I also recommend making almondaise for spreads. Almondaise Recipe - Food.com - 474344

My favorite gluten-free pasta is Ancient Harvest Quinoa, also found at Safeway. If you dislike corn products, Tinkyada is my second favorite

Thanks for all the help! I love Udi's bread, I could literally live off the stuff but for $6 a loaf that's a little excessive (college student over here).

I am literally the WORST cook in the world. Does anyone know of any vegetarian/gluten-free recipe sites that are targeted for beginners? I am interested in cooking for myself but all of the recipes I find call for actions that I don't know how to do yet (like sautée.. yeah guys, I'm seriously THAT bad at cooking!).

Also, the products you have suggested are stellar. I knew about Udi's and various other things like Annie's for oatmeal/bread crumbs, etc but I didn't know about the quinoa, and I didn't know about Rudi's (the grocers here only carry Udi's).

Unfortunately I live in NC and we don't have Safeway. I wish we had something like Wheatless, that sounds amazing just from the name! Does anyone from the east coast (particularly in NC or even better, in Charlotte) have any testimonials on how you balance gluten-free and vegetarianism?

@kananaka, IBS is "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and my symptoms seem to stem from gluten products. I do not have Celiac's or Crohn's thankfully, but as a preventative measure I have decided to go gluten-free in case my IBS could stem into either of the two. Not sure if that's possible, but better safe than sorry, I s'pose.

I'm not vegetarian by any means, but spelt bread is some seriously good stuff. On its own, it's a bit crumbly and hard to deal with, but once it's toasted, it is amazing.

I'm not vegetarian by any means, but spelt bread is some seriously good stuff. On its own, it's a bit crumbly and hard to deal with, but once it's toasted, it is amazing.

Thanks for the tip, but spelt is discouraged by dietitians for gluten-intolerance because it is related to wheat. I was really excited when I looked it up, too! Darn!

Anyone know of KNOWN gluten-free brands of tofu? Flavored types usually have soy which is packed with wheat. I am very new to tofu so some help would be MUCH appreciated.

Hey pocket. I know what IBS is just dont know a lot about it ;).

I do not know of any preflavored tofu that is gluten free, but there is a thing called Tamari sauce that can be gluten free (some "Tamari" sauces are not so read carefully) and used in place of soy sauce, it is also really tasty! I will keep my eyes and ears open for a gluten free product.

I checked this web site out Gluten-Free Recipes - Food.com and some of the recipies seem really easy (but I am a avid cook so...) but at least there is a lot to choose from, I am sure you can find something!

Thanks for all the help! I love Udi's bread, I could literally live off the stuff but for $6 a loaf that's a little excessive (college student over here).

I am literally the WORST cook in the world. Does anyone know of any vegetarian/gluten-free recipe sites that are targeted for beginners? I am interested in cooking for myself but all of the recipes I find call for actions that I don't know how to do yet (like sautée.. yeah guys, I'm seriously THAT bad at cooking!).

Also, the products you have suggested are stellar. I knew about Udi's and various other things like Annie's for oatmeal/bread crumbs, etc but I didn't know about the quinoa, and I didn't know about Rudi's (the grocers here only carry Udi's).

Unfortunately I live in NC and we don't have Safeway. I wish we had something like Wheatless, that sounds amazing just from the name! Does anyone from the east coast (particularly in NC or even better, in Charlotte) have any testimonials on how you balance gluten-free and vegetarianism?

@kananaka , IBS is "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and my symptoms seem to stem from gluten products. I do not have Celiac's or Crohn's thankfully, but as a preventative measure I have decided to go gluten-free in case my IBS could stem into either of the two. Not sure if that's possible, but better safe than sorry, I s'pose.

Might it be worth your time/money to invest in a basic cooking skills class? I bet your college/a local community college offers something as a not-for-credit class. Things like sauteing are really, really easy (put oil in pan, turn on heat to medium, put in ingredients, wait)--you just need a few tools and the confidence that you know what you're doing. Given that your ingredients are necessarily limited, increasing your skills would greatly expand your cooking repertoire!

Plus, cooking is so much fun! :)

it is so definitely possible ! don't loose hope.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.