Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetable strike?

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
All of my gang has been good about eating a wide variety of veggies. In the past few days, they have been ignoring everything except their romaine lettuce, parsley and cilantro. If this was going on in just one cage, I would think it was just a quirk of those particular piggies but all three of my cages seem to have gone on strike at the same time.

I thought maybe I would give them romaine at one time of the day and the bowl of chopped up peppers, cukes, carrots, jicama etc at another time of the day. I am just stumped because they were eating fine. This is fresh stuff, nothing has changed about how/what they are being fed.

Any suggestions on how to get them over this strike? They are all on Cavy Performance and have unlimited timothy hay in addition to veggies.

NoVeil said:
All of my gang has been good about eating a wide variety of veggies. In the past few days, they have been ignoring everything except their romaine lettuce, parsley and cilantro. If this was going on in just one cage, I would think it was just a quirk of those particular piggies but all three of my cages seem to have gone on strike at the same time.

I thought maybe I would give them romaine at one time of the day and the bowl of chopped up peppers, cukes, carrots, jicama etc at another time of the day. I am just stumped because they were eating fine. This is fresh stuff, nothing has changed about how/what they are being fed.

Any suggestions on how to get them over this strike? They are all on Cavy Performance and have unlimited timothy hay in addition to veggies.

So are mine all they will eat is Romaine and Cilantro and parsley. They won't touch the plums, apples, tomatoes, or bell peppers I give them etc. They just started this strike last week. I am a little bit ticked off because I spend money on veggies and then they won't eat them... It is just so weird.

that is weird. do they still eat all their pellets and hay fine?

Yep, they are eating normally except for leaving veggies alone. They still eat the lettuce, cilantro and parsley...they just leave the other veggies untouched.

All I can say is that is wierd! lol Maybe if it's from the same batch of veggies, they think it's stale or bad, it's not up to their standards! lol I know that my girls wont touch their pellets if they have been left for a whole day (heaven forbid...) and it's all the girls, not just the two. Also, maybe tomorrow you can try leaving all their favorites out and putting the other stuff in if you are possitive it isn't a freashness thing. Good luck!!

Mine have certainly lessened the amounts of veggies they eat since the weather got cooler. There has been no "strike", but unusual still!

yes mine hasnt been eating as many veggies either! It is so strange. Just all the sudden. He eats everything else fine but less veggies.

I've noticed a similar thing with my piggies. They cut dowm on the dry food by about 25% for a few days. It has got cooler here during that time. I don't know if it is connected. I've also noticed they've been eating a lot more hay recently. I usually feed them all their veggies and dry food at the same time in the morning. Yesterday I decided to feed their dry food in the morning, half their veg/fruit in the morning and the other half of their veg/fruit in the evening. By the following morning they had eaten nearly all of the dry food. I'll see how this goes over the next few days.

That's interesting. What other veggies are you feeding them (or trying to!)

weird...weather up here is getting cold too.

loves2travel said:
weird...weather up here is getting cold too.
Yep big diff. from what it was isn't it?
Well my piggs still won't eat anything but Romaine, and cilantro.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.