Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Vege Time Table?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[GuineaPigCages.com] Vege Time Table?

What Can I do to make it better? To much of something or to little? Please tell me, So I can buy the things needed for the first week this weekend.

Thanks. :)

Great variety.
Wondering if you have too many "treat" type foods in the list frequency wise.
I typically give my boys a treat such as apple, strawberry, raspberry once a week.
Usually on Saturday when they have their super long floor time.

And a lot will depend on the quantity of each you are giving each day.

Very organized list though.

@RodentCuddles, that's a very ambitious schedule, and one that will cause you a great deal of extra work. Unless your family eats a lot of that, the food will either spoil or lose a lot of its vitamins by the time you use it up.

Also, your post sounds like you haven't gotten the pigs yet, so do you know if they'll even eat vegetables? You may have to teach them, in which case you'll just start with one or two.

I don't know how many pigs you've got/are getting, so I'll assume two, and that they do eat vegetables. You can adjust up or down as needed. Buy a couple of heads of lettuce (red or green leaf is best), a couple of bell peppers, a couple of tomatoes (or cherry or grape tomatoes), a zucchini, a few green beans, and some parsley or cilantro. If they're older pigs, skip the parsley. Let the lettuce and the bell pepper make up the bulk of what you feed, and add a little of the other stuff in.

If you've got other vegetables your family eats, you can feed the some of those.

I'd avoid cabbage and broccoli altogether, as they can cause gas. Corn on the cob is too high in sugar to be fed regularly, but they can have all the corn husks and silks they want, provided you strip/cut off the outsides where the pesticides are. Only give a small amount of spinach, and that only occasionally. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/ for what you can feed and how often.

I am a vegetarian, my mum isn't but we don't have any meat in the house apart from the weeks when my lil bro is staying with us. So we usually have the fresh veges at home.
Haha, yea I do already have two boars. I got them when they were about 9 weeks old and now they are one and a half years old. After thinking about what they eat ( which is quite a variety because we use to live at my granddads house and he has a huge garden full of everything that was on my list and more! So they've grown up eating veges) I've decide to take a couple things off the timetable.
But I am hoping to add a 3 month old boy to my group if I'm allowed to get him. I will quarantine him for 3 weeks. :)
How does this one sound? Should I give it a go?
[GuineaPigCages.com] Vege Time Table?
Is there anything that I should change? And how much to feed? A leaf per pig for lettuce or something like that?

A cup of veggies per pig per day. Red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers should the staples in the diet. It's better if you can split that into two or three feedings.

Okay, great thanks!! :)

Thanks so much for the help.
I think I might try this:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Vege Time Table?[GuineaPigCages.com] Vege Time Table?

Okay, just brought everything!! Gonna start on Monday!

That's a great idea I need one of them!

Haha, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.