Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements VC

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
:rolleyes: Hi all and I promise this will be my last post of the day.

Regarding vitamin C. How do I know if the girls are getting enough? I have drops and tabs. Not sure what to do with the tablets. I did put drops on the vegies a couple of days ago. They nibbled and walked away.

Keep doing what I'm doing? Putting drops in vegies and in water?
How do I handle the pills? Daily C by Oxbow.

I have two female young piggies. I worry about the Vit C.

1/8 of a bell pepper per pig per day will cover their vit c needs. Don't use drops in the water, it can turn pigs off of drinking.

I actually don't get why people are always stressing over vitamin C. If you're using the recommend pellets, and are feeding good veggies...vitamin C supplements are worthless. They're just going to pee out all the excess vitamin C. People usually only use the supplements when they're seeing signs of deficiency. If that's the case, read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

What pellets do you feed? Do your pigs get vitamin C rich veggies such as cilantro and bell pepper?

Meg is a food junkie. She tries everything. Cinn is a tad older (pet store) and is picky. I worry about her. In the few weeks I've had her she has already shown signs of bumblefoot. She is good now. She's just a butt. I hold her and she pushes my hand away. She squaks and squeels in protest. Meg is much more social. Calm, loving, etc. Cinn makes noice and Meg tries to get away from me...

I got some Oxbow Daily C Tablets. My girls will eat them just by me handing it to them.

They get plenty of green pepper, but I give them each maybe one every few weeks just to cover my bases. Plus they like them :D

I actually don't get why people are always stressing over vitamin C. If you're using the recommend pellets, and are feeding good veggies...vitamin C supplements are worthless. They're just going to pee out all the excess vitamin C. People usually only use the supplements when they're seeing signs of deficiency. If that's the case, read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

What pellets do you feed? Do your pigs get vitamin C rich veggies such as cilantro and bell pepper?

Good advice. Thinking about the pee. I have seen dried white pee, powdery when dry not grainy. Thats proof that they have plenty of C. I guess I worry about them too much.
They tolerate red bell pepper and take a taste or two. They won't go near the plate if it has cilantro on it.

I use a combination of pellets. Oxbow, Vitakraft, and Small World. Mostly for the variety that each one offers. Advice is welcome if this is something I should not be doing.

I have noticed they drink less water when it have drops in it.

They don't need a variety of pellets, and you should stick with Oxbow since you have it. The other two are not recommended.

White powder deposits are from calcium, not vitamin C. Can you feel it to make sure it's not gritty in texture? If they pee white frequently you might want to take a look at how much calcium is in their diet and reduce it. This chart should help you: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

You have to be quite persistent with veggies. Red pepper isn't a daily bell pepper, have you tried the green ones? Some people (like me) have found success by repeatedly introducing the foods, others chop them very fine and put them on pellets. That way they'll get some of the veggies in their mouth on accident while going for the pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.