Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Varieties?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
It's time for another hay order....
My guinea pigs are finishing up the Kaytee bag that came with them a week ago. I feed my bunnies four types of Oxbow hay, but I was considering switch into KMS hay as I heard good reviews of the quality and pricings. I was wondering, should I order my four different types of Oxbow to feed (apparently it provides more taste and nutrition) or should I just feed KMS exclusively? Do the guinea pigs & bunnies need the extra nutrition it claims to have in the Oxbow hays or will KMS only be enough to meet their needs? Thank you! :)

Any comments / suggestions are greatly apprieciated. :)

I don't know about your bunnies but the KMS should be fine for the GPs.

It has a much better price and I am confident the quality is better. I was just wondering about the nutritional part.... Would it be okay to feed KMS exclusively as to the four different Oxbow hays that supposedly provided more nutrition and flavor because of the variety? Thanks :)

I'll give a bump because I would like to know that too.

I don't know about any claims of Oxbow hay having more nutrition and taste. Hay is hay, and it depends on where it's grown and what kind of growing season they had as to how nutritious and flavorful it is, as long as you're comparing the same type of hay. What I do know is that Oxbow has a huge marketing department and would love to convince you that their products are superior, while KM is a family business that has awesome stuff but doesn't advertise a lot.

I do feed mine a mix of at least two KM hays, but that's because I know a couple of people who ran out of one kind and the pigs went on a hunger strike because they didn't like the new hay. This way, I've got at least one kind mine are guaranteed to eat if I can't get the other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.