Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Vacation !

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
my family and i are going to be travelling this summer. My 2 pigs are in a c&c cage, and family is coming to feed them and such but what I'm worried about is how is it going to stay clean for a week or so? Right now there is fleece in the cage but we do have some extra pine left from when we used to use it. i don't know how i should leave my cage so it stays as clean as possible for as long as possible. Thankyou so much!:)

How large is the cage?
For others to clean it, loose bedding might be an easier option than teaching them the whole fleece routine. (Unless you have a pig with skin issues/dryness) You just need to put in a thick layer, and ask your family to spot clean any soggy bits, section clean if needed & replace with a new fresh layer.

I agree. I use litter when I have a pets sitter come. It is easier for them and stays cleaner without constant care unlike fleece.

i use fleece over newspaper and also put newpaper on top of the fleece in the areas where my girls urinate and poop. each day i just scoop out the poopies and change the newspaper on top. i change the fleece every other day.

i use fleece over newspaper and also put newpaper on top of the fleece in the areas where my girls urinate and poop. each day i just scoop out the poopies and change the newspaper on top. i change the fleece every other day.

Newspaper is not absorbent enough & is not an appropriate bedding. It will not work properly with fleece as the pee will not wick through the way it should. It will get soggy & smelly quickly & could lead to infections, UTI, urine scald & bumblefoot.

Fleece used with towels or uhaul pad in a properly sized cage can last you for a week when sweeping daily, there is no point in using fleece if you need to change the whole thing every other day.

Forgot to add that some types of ink used in newspapers can also be dangerous/toxic. I myself developed an allergy to many types of ink while working at a post office for a few months, keeping guinea pigs in direct contact to newspaper with their sensitive immune systems & skin can have the same effect unfortunately. Not to mention inhaling it.

Even if I change the litter box areas that have newspaper daily? My cage is 2.5 by five feet plus a two by two loft. I just don't want the girlies to have to be on a fleece or any substance with dried urine. If the girls (2) only pee in three spots then it makes sense to change the newspaper over top of the fleece daily. No matter what I have tried using, I clean the whole thing every other day because I enjoy sanitary cleanliness and just want the best for my girls. As for bedding, they have in their loft a layer of newspaper with a fluffy towel over it and another towel clipped with clothespins for a huge hidey loft. They can also lay up there on four folded cotton placemats in their hidey houses if they choose.

The only direct contact they have is when they are passing over it to pee.

Even if I change the litter box areas that have newspaper daily? My cage is 2.5 by five feet plus a two by two loft. I just don't want the girlies to have to be on a fleece or any substance with dried urine. If the girls (2) only pee in three spots then it makes sense to change the newspaper over top of the fleece daily. No matter what I have tried using, I clean the whole thing every other day because I enjoy sanitary cleanliness and just want the best for my girls. As for bedding, they have in their loft a layer of newspaper with a fluffy towel over it and another towel clipped with clothespins for a huge hidey loft. They can also lay up there on four folded cotton placemats in their hidey houses if they choose.

The fleece is there to keep the pigs away from urine, as the urine wicks through to the absorbent layer such as towels. When I sweep daily, I can go 5-7 days without any smell from the cage with about the same cage size. You can use small litterboxes with bedding if they all go in the same spot, or as a kitchen area as they tend to go where they eat. I also use small fleece pads under hideys to change more frequently.

Unless you have many pigs in that cage, I think there's way too much work for you changing the bedding every other day. The function of fleece is to keep the pigs dry & go a few days between full cleanings.

To HannibalLecter,
Thanks for the advice! I only have two piggies in the cage and just wanted to make sure I was doing the best for them! Your profile piggie is gorgeous, btw!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.