Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Using Lice N Easy to treat Lice?

clb89

Cavy Slave
Alright so my two boys apparently have lice, I can see the little worm like bodies on them. I can also see some of the nits (eggs) on Lightning. Now Gorgeous Guinea makes a shampoo called Lice n' Easy it is specifically for lice on guinea pigs. I know most people say no shampoo for parasites on guinea pigs, so would it be safe to treat with the Lice N' Easy? I also already have the pour on Ivermectin on hand, but the gorgeous guinea site actually saids it's not needed since lice aren't blood suckers. What do you all think?

clb89

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have insight into my question?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Make sure that if you have any guinea pigs who are not infected that you take care not to spread them.

The Ivermectin is only useful in killing lice if used topically, another product you could use is Advantage (imidacloprid), I have no idea about the shampoo though.

You are right lice are not blood suckers, they typically eat dead skin but they may still irritate your guinea pig to the point where they cause excessive scratching.

clb89

Cavy Slave
@Soecara Yeah I only have two guinea pigs and they both have it. I will be doing the Ivermectin just in case.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't know what's in that shampoo.

Definitely treat with either ivermectin or Advantage, or Revolution.