Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Using c and c cage cubes for a stand

bambi2023

Cavy Gazer
Hi I have been looking at all the pictures of stands that everyone has made to get their piggies cage off the ground. Is anyone able to tell me, if you know, how many cubes I would need to bring my cages off the ground. I have been looking at 4 foot folding tables and they are great just with cost of living and such a lot of people want tons of money for them. I am really not sure between the c and c cage cubes and a table. If could help me out that would be great so I know how many I am looking for. The all the cages were beautiful

Have you checked thrift stores or used furniture stores? Our local Savers usually has a table, coffee table, or chest of drawers that would make a suitable base. If the dimensions aren’t exact, you can always make a cage floor from bead board or 1/4” plywood, covered with a waterproof shower curtain or tablecloth.

The cage I just built is 2x4 grids. I made a floor from a on bead board panel and framed it with 2x2s. It’s set up on top of our dog’s kennel, which is just slightly shorter than the guinea pig cage.

Hi yes my friend and I checked all the thrift places here but I was so narrow focused for a folding table. I didn’t realize it think of other things. Those are all great ideas and would have quite a few of those rather than folding tables. I am gonna head out at the end of the week and check them again with more information about what works. Thanks so much for the ideas.

Having used both folding card tables and a c&c stand, I like the folding tables better. I got mine for $30. The grid stand was a pain for me because Amazon Basics cube shelves grids are from hell and don't stay together. Any movement resulted in the grids separating. Tables are easier to move IMO but grids provide a cleaner look, and work well with cloth storage cubes.

Has anyone tried milk crates? I was reading were very unsturdy. I think that I am gonna look for used coffee tables and the other things because my biggest fear is them collapsing when am not at home or asleeep

I currently have the 2x5 guinea pig cage on a 6-foot folding utility table which I find to be ideal height. Previously the cage was on multiple Ikea Lack side and coffee tables. The reason I moved to a higher table was the Lack tables were only 22" high and I have back problems. You can often find the Ikea tables for free or really low cost on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I gave my Lack tables away through those same sites.

I used milk crates under the quarantine cage before. My milk crates came from a milk distributor company and had metal bars imbedded into the top of the crate so it was more sturdy. The drawback to that is the crates barely left room for storage underneath and again, were too low for me. If you plan to use the milk crates that are for regular storage, it should still work, provided you put enough sturdy milk crates underneath to distribute the weight.

Thanks so much. I too have a lot of back issues making any bending painful. I think am gonna look for something the height of a folding table and would work out great for me as well. Thanks so much for the reply.

I built a 5x2 cage with a 2x2 overhanging loft. I did an exhaustive search for a table and couldn't find anything that looked nice plus fit into the allowed space. (self smacks forehead) It suddenly dawned on me that the easiest and most appropriate solution was to build a grid stand. I did just that with openings for canvas folding bins. I created the cage and stand separately and then joined them together. As a finishing touch, I then strategically added coasters to support the entire structure. The entire structure is so sturdy that I could sit/lie in the cage and get the ultimate close-up interaction.

I will attach just a few pics. If you decide that you like the idea and want to know more, let me know and I'll be happy to send you more pics to help you visualize various stages of the build process.

Attachments

Cage length.jpg Cage side.jpg Loft - bottom.jpg Offset loft design - altered.jpg Clean Home.jpg
Those are great pictures. I have an idea how many to get and how to build a base. Thank you.

What a nice setup, spy9doc. I’m probably going to have to set up my previous 2x3 cage for one of my girls. I recently adopted a second pig and she relentlessly chases Millie, who is scared of her.

I hoped they could share the new 2x4 I just built, but I doubt I can trust them together unsupervised.

I was thinking of buying cubbies to set the cage on and have some storage, but your setup is really nice.

Those pictures are awesome. I am hoping to be able to make a cage like that. I need yo do more research on adding levels but am gonna start to get the cubes as soon as I can. It's a great idea. Unfortunately in the city I am in there isn't too much to choose from at thrift stores.

What a nice setup, spy9doc. I’m probably going to have to set up my previous 2x3 cage for one of my girls. I recently adopted a second pig and she relentlessly chases Millie, who is scared of her.

I hoped they could share the new 2x4 I just built, but I doubt I can trust them together unsupervised.

I was thinking of buying cubbies to set the cage on and have some storage, but your setup is really nice.
Thank you both for the compliments! :sneaky: Where you see two different colors of coro, the cage initially began as a 2x4 cage with a 1x2 loft which they soon outgrew. A 1x2 loft just was too small and often overcrowded as invariably they both wanted to visit it together.

Now that Rafi is alone, he has plenty of room to stretch his legs. He sometimes races around the cage, sprints up the ramp and into the litter box, then right back downstairs looking so pleased with himself.

Once again, I'm happy to share more pics if you would like them. And, BTW, if you build the cage correctly, it won't wobble nor fall apart. You will notice that the loft has no support under it.🤨 I'll show the original design, but didn't need the 2-3 extra grids due to my sturdy construction. Compare this pic with the previous one.

Attachments

Offset loft design.jpg