Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay urine in hay

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've always used a bowl for Whistles' hay because otherwise he'll sit ontop of it all, pee in it, then not eat what he pees on.
I don't want him wasting too much hay. Now I've seen several users whom have a whole "bucket" full of hay of which the guinea pig hops in, munch munch munch, tinkle tinkle tinkle.
Now my question is, wouldn't it be harmful for them to eat soiled hay? I'm guessing not since they eat their own poo and they don't drink different liquids like us.
Just curious....

I do that with my hay but my guinea pigs just love playing in the hay and I hate to take that away from them. From what I can tell they don't eat the stuff that has been peed on because there is always left overs. I also keep adding fresh stuff throughout the day. My guinea pigs are very healthy so I don't think it hurts them but they do waste ALOT of hay.

Urine is actually "clean", and is free from bacteria unless there is a UTI present. Also, I don't know that they actually eat the hay they pee on, since there is usually hay in the litter pan they won't eat, so I think that's the stuff they peed on? I don't think it would hurt them to eat it, anyway.

I clean out my hay bin every day. My guinea pigs are big hay eaters so I don't end up tossing a lot. I shred paper and put a thick layer in the bottom of my hay bin and add the hay on top. If they pee in the hay bin, the shredded paper makes it a lot easier to clean out.

Whistles' can stick his head and front paws in his hay. So he still enjoys buring his head into all his hay :)
I've been thinking about making a hay rack. But last time I used a hay rack Whistles got mad at it, yanked it off the cage bars and got the hay out hay out that way. So he's not much for having to work for his food. Its bad enough I make him run up the ramp for food xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.