Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI suspected - signs to watch until vet appointment

• Thread starter KaileighRussell
  • Start date

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
So my little Callie bean has a suspected URI - our vet appointment is booked with Animal Hospital of High Park in Toronto for early next week (best they could do).

Is there any specific signs that I need to watch out for to just drop it and make it an emerge visit?

Right now Callie is:
- eating and drinking fine
- consistent weight
- crusty, watery eyes
- sneezing a bit
- coughed once - but once is enough!
- energy level is consistently the same
- no personality/mood changes.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you caught it as early as I did with my Babe.

Kuddos to you for taking her to the vet so soon!

I would definitely print out the list of deadly medications off of Guiena Lynx...I'm quite through arguing with vets and am armed with that paper on to the next!

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
Oh definitely! As soon as I read what happened to your baby I was like - TO GL! This clinic seems great, I've told them the flak I encountered with vets in the TO area about guinea pig vet care ("Why do you want to spend 100.00 on a 25.00 animal - they're not worth it!!!") and the VT I talked to was appalled.

Fingers crossed this goes well!

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I often get this response, they'll never understand I've come to realize it's not even worth arguing about LOL

I hope everything goes well! I want to hear about it!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am worried about waiting until next week. These things develop pretty fast, and usually by the time you notice the symptoms it's already been going on for a while. Can you explain to the vet that she needs to be seen sooner? My vet will often let me drop off a pig, and they will work it in at some point during the day.

Otherwise, see if you can find another exotic vet who can see her sooner.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy She's letting me know if anything opens up sooner, which I'm really hoping - specifically tomorrow/Friday time frame. I've let them know that I'm looking for other vets with earlier appointments and told them that if this shows any signs of becoming worse at all she's coming in as an emerge case - fee be darned! I did this with my cat with his smoke inhilation with our apartment fire, not taking any chances with Cal the way that my luck has been with breathing issues.

They're the closest and so far (I'm still calling other places) the more reputable in the TO area for cavy savvy vets. If anyone has other TO vets please throw them my way! I'm about ready to call anyone!

***EDIT
I've been having a crap time with finding a good cavy vet in TO - I'm going to call and ask about dropping off though, see what they think. I'm a first time client, so they may be hesitant! Thank you though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.