Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI recovery stories?

Fern_sweets

Cavy Slave
Has anyone had a successful recovery of a guinea pig with URI? did they ever come down with it again? what do you do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks so much!

Tablo

Cavy Slave
My piggy had an URI a few months ago.

He went from about 3 pounds to 1.6 in just a SHORTSHORTSHORT time. He was fine one day, I was admitted to the hospital for 3-4 days, was released to go home and I picked him up and I could feel every bone in his body.

Had an emergency appointment made with the closest guinea pig vet (around here, treating 2 guinea pigs a week is the best you get, and that's what I got) the next morning, and they gave him some kind of medicine and he got all better in 2-3 weeks and very quickly gained his weight back.

He's a sassy, plump piggy again.

My pig got his from his dusty aspen bedding.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've had many pigs throughout the years with URIs. Most have recovered with no problems. I believe there were a couple who developed pneumonia and did not recover, and one who turned out to have heart problems and was put on heart meds.

Usually once they recover fully there should be no further problems.

Fern_sweets

Cavy Slave
so good to know..good news with my piggy her wheezing isn't there!:) she's been a eating like a piggy too!she's got 9 days left of her meds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.