Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Urgent Question...please help

pigglywiggly2

Cavy Slave
I have two sows and they were treated with Revolution on Jan. 12. I suspect one has mites now (itching, scratching, dandruff) so I treated them both with Ivermectin 2 days ago (Wed.). One of my girls gave birth tonight to 3 beautiful pups. Pics tomorrow. My urgent question is what to do about retreating next Wed. I am using the topical treatment and know that the pups cannot be treated until they are 300 grams. If I treat the mom I think the pups will be exposed but I need to treat again. What to do?
Thanks in advance for any input!

You can give ivermectin to nursing sows.

But I'm curious. Why did you not continue with the Revolution treatment? Or why did you start it in the first place?

I had taken them to an "exotic vet" that said I would only need one Revolution treatment since they aren't in contact with other pigs. I knew more about my sows than he did so I've selected a new vet but haven't taken them to the new one yet. I was just going to treat with the Ivermectin myself. Glad to know you can give the topical treatment to the nursing sow.
Thank you for your reply!

Hmmm... I do think a new vet is in order. I've never heard of treating people and/or animals based on who they do or don't associate with rather than on how their symptoms respond.

Usually you would only need to treat once with Revolution. Sometimes, if you still see signs of mites, then a second treatment would be added a month later.

As for the ivermectin, yes, treat the mother.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.