Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Urgent Please Help

Sparkle

Cavy Slave
We just woke up and Sparkle our pig of 5 days has a problem. Her left eye appears to be selaed shut. There is a little crust in one corner but nothing else. I have picked her up and she appears fine but she is skittish as she cant see out of one eye!

PLEASE HELP!

Are there any other symptoms like wheezing/sneezing?

Taken from GL
Crusty eyes
Labored breathing, crackling sound from the lungs, eyes that are almost sealed shut, discharge from the eyes and/or the nose, sneezing, coughing, and wheezing can all be symptomatic of an upper respiratory infection (URI)

A couple of good leg scratches and its open but still crusty. Any advice?

No other side effects just crusty eye (only one)

Piglet said:
Are there any other symptoms like wheezing/sneezing?

Taken from GL
Crusty eyes
Labored breathing, crackling sound from the lungs, eyes that are almost sealed shut, discharge from the eyes and/or the nose, sneezing, coughing, and wheezing can all be symptomatic of an upper respiratory infection (URI)

All I can say is take her to the vet. Have her eyes ever been crusty or sealed shut before?

She could have got something caught in her eye, i.e. some hay? That could have caused it to go sore

No medical suggestions, but take a warm, wet cloth to clear the crust from the eye, VERY gently. Take her to the window/light and look for any injury. If you notice anything odd, take her to the vet. It is probably a good idea to do that anyway. She could have an injury or cold.

Sounds to me like eye irritation. Possibly a scratched cornea. Your best bet is to have a vet look at it and treat it. If it's a scratched cornea it could ulcerate and, if that happens, she stands a chance to lose the eye.

I had a corneal ulcer and know for a fact that it is horribly painful. Mine was so bad I was expected to lose the eye. Luckily I managed to keep it but have scarring I have to live with.

Deuce had eye discharge from only the left side which turned crusty. This went on for about 3 days, coming and going. Then his nose started to crust and we took him to the vet that day. Turns out it is a bacterial infection that has not yet moved into the lungs. We're treating it with anti-biotics.

It could be an indication of a scratch on her eye or the beginnings of a URI (upper respiratory infection). Your pig would benefit from seeing a vet to determine what is wrong.

We are still not sure what is going on with Kojo's eye (woke up Friday and it was all cloudy/crusty.) We took her last week to the vet and she prescribed some meds as she was not sure if it were a scratch or start of something.

She also suggested rinsing the eye several times a day with saline solution (for contacts).

I hope Kojo's eye gets better.

thanks. I have a feeling it will be trip #4 to the vet tomorrow. her eye looks worse :( poor thing. between the eye meds & the ear - i'ts worse than taking care of the "real" kids.

My kids want a 3rd piggie but told them we need to get Kojo better first.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.