Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Upset With Oxbow

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
Once I got a small bag of Oxbow hay. Bright green, bendiable, sweet smelling, etc. Very pleased! Today I got a larger pack. It might as well have been Kaytee. Pale, straw like, and not very good smelling. Why is this?

It's probably been on the shelf too long. I'd take it back for a refund. You really don't know how long the bags have been at the stores. Aside from the big cost savings, that's one of the other reasons I buy 50 lb boxes of Oxbow hay because it's shipped directly from Oxbow and not stocked at the store.

I can't take it back! :( My mom seemed upset enough not buying it at Target (more easy) and I know for a fact we can't take it back. Is it still better than Kaytee?

So mad! They already have dumb Kaytee food and now straw for hay.:mad:

I've had similar problems before with Oxbow, but even the straw-like Oxbow is better than the Kaytee in my opinion, because Kaytee is ALL straw.

Usually I sort through the bags on the shelf and pick out a good one, but Oxbow is always backordered or delayed at the store I go to, so sometimes I'm forced to take a not-so-nice bag.

you know kaytee is not that bad down here in miami in the pet stores they sell it very fresh=}

Crystal2528, hay is only harvested two or three times a year. So almost nothing you get is really fresh. Hay bought in small packages in pet stores is particularly likely not to be fresh, since it goes into storage for the pet stores after it's packaged. Hay bought directly from farms has to be moved out to make room for next year's crop, and is more likely to be fresh.

I buy my hay from farm/stock supply places rather than places like Pet Barn because their product moves quicker and is in less packaging. As hay is only cut a few times a year so I try to get it from as close to the source as possible.

I'm really upset because it is like all straw! They won't even eat it. Usually when I open a bag of hay they go WILD, they didn't even really do much this time. :(

I showed the "straw" to my Mom. She smelled it and said it still smelled like hay, and when she fingered it she said it was supposed to be crunchy. What do I do!?!

If you can't take it back, then feed it to your pigs or donate it to a local shelter/rescue. Hard hay can increase the chances of a hay poke and thus expensive vet bills... could you use that reasoning with your mom to possibly persuade her to take you to exchange the hay?

No, afraid not. They are eating it a bit more and thankfully I found out that towards the middle it is a little greener and softer. Not like the other bag I gotten, but it will do. I'll let this be a lesson to me, I need to pick out the hay! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.