Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Upper Deck uses

msmonih

Cavy Slave
as stated i basically have a c & c altern cage. What do yall use your upper deck for. Mine os basically a 2x2. I was thinking of making a bed area. All my piggies will be babies around 6 wks old rpugh estimate.

I'm forstering 2 girls and their piggy daddy came over the other day to help set up the 2nd story on their cage. It's also a 2x2 upper level and the bottom level is 5x4, they appear to be using it to play and/or get away from each other. He made it so I can just lift it out to clean underneath. I have my 4 boys in single level cages (2 piggies per 7x4 cage) and have been thinking about adding a loft that would be used as the kitchen area.
By the way I'm in STL also:D!

Hi thx for responding. My upper lvl is 2'4"x3'5" & the main lvl is 3'5"x8'7". Rough estimates. I still dont have the grid terms down. I am still learning. I may turn it into a bed area & just put up walls to separate each area. I am not sure. This is a total new thing for me. I want to make sure I do this right so they will be happy.

Our upper deck runs the full length of the cage so it is a 1x4 deck. I put the food up there. It is an open style cage.

Wow the full length? That is an idea after I get the piggies. I will keep that in mind. Great idea. Thx

I have a 2 by 5 grid upper deck and I use it for a bed loft.

Most people use the upper decks as food and hay areas. Piggies tend to pee and poo a lot when eating, so by cleaning the loft, the main part of the cage needs less cleaning. Also, hay is a total pain to get off fleece, so by putting it up top, there's less mess "downstairs", and the fleece is easier to clean.

Petlovr is absolutely right! My upper area is also a 2x2 and it contains two litter boxes side by side with a hay bin with it. They like to munch hay and do their business half the day, so this way they use the litter boxes as they're eating hay and most of their mess is contained in the litter boxes, which i pull and refill as needed. No training needed and it has actually kept my upper area clean for quite a while at a stretch, plus the hay stays upstairs, it's hard to get off the fleece as Petlovr stated!! They also eat up there, so all their veggie mess, stains, etc., can be cleaned more often as well. Good luck!!

Most people use the upper decks as food and hay areas. Piggies tend to pee and poo a lot when eating, so by cleaning the loft, the main part of the cage needs less cleaning. Also, hay is a total pain to get off fleece, so by putting it up top, there's less mess "downstairs", and the fleece is easier to clean.
yup this is what my 1x2 loft is used for too. I have it sectioned off kitchen and bedroom [GuineaPigCages.com] Upper Deck uses[GuineaPigCages.com] Upper Deck uses

boofp, i really like that tunnel, it probably keeps everything in that's supposed to be in, huh?! I used small cat litter boxes and cut them down on one side but left a pretty good lip so that the CareFresh, hay, etc, stay IN the boxes, not dragged everywhere upstairs. It doesn't work completely, but it's pretty good and there's no hay downstairs, so all good here!!

We put together a nice 2x4 cage with a 1x2 loft...and our pigs never use it. We've tried leaving the food and hay up there, along with a pigloo, but they'll pretty much run up the ramp, eat some food and run back down. So we've just taken it off.

yes I love it

Awesome suggestions, pics, comments et al. So appreciated by me. Thx everyone. Thinking of expanding the upper lvl.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.