Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Updating Our Cage

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I've decided to finally do the work on our cage I've been wanting to do for a while, to give something to keep me busy and spoil my 5 remaining girls. We're going to add a 2x3 semi-level to our big ol' 3x6 cage, to give the girls a bit more room and somewhere new to explore. Really, I'm looking for ideas of what I could do with this new space? I'm currently thinking turning part of it into a nice cosy corner where our nervous girls, Waffles and Pompom could go and hide if they needed some space, and perhaps turning the bottom outer edge fo the grids into one long strip of fleecey forest, but aside from that, or even instead of that? I just want to try and make what work I can afford as special as possible for them Also I'll be extending our hay box too. The ultimate plan is to hopefully by the new year have one of these 2x3 part levels on each side of the cage, so I can still get in the middle to clean underneath and scoop piggies up for cuddles, but just one side for the very immediate furture.

This is our cage as it currently stands. Any interesting ideas for the extra floor would be appreciated :) :

mishkapop-albums-piggies-doing-their-thing-picture35802-piggles.jpg

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Your cage is huge! Perhaps you could turn the second level into a kitchen area and take out the side hay box. This will encorage your pigs to use the second level if their hay and pellets are up there.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
OO, that's quite cool. Though I might keep the side one as well, just as the one we have currently isn't really big enough, so having two seperate ones could be an alternative to expanding ang reducing the mad crush when I get the hay bag out :D And yes, it is indeed huge. It was made to house 6 piggies. I still would like to make it bigger though, a grid or two longer one day hehe... In an ideal world I am going to have a room devoted to just the pigs in the future ^^

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
IF you're planning to do a 2x3 loft, be prepared to hate sweeping time. I have one, and getting it and under to clean can be a challenge.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I get the girls out for floor time and hoover it usually. Do you think that would still work? I don't mind getting down on my belly to do it. Little bit of difficulty for happier piggles doesn't phase me hehe *big softie*

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Either that or maybe I could figure out someway to hinge it, then I could just clip it up at hoover time... *rubs chin*

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
how about a U shaped loft. 1x6 along the back and 1x2 on the sides connecting

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
I get the girls out for floor time and hoover it usually. Do you think that would still work? I don't mind getting down on my belly to do it. Little bit of difficulty for happier piggles doesn't phase me hehe *big softie*

I have a hinge door on the end and works well for sweeping poos :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350837482315556 i don't have the grid stand anymore but still have the hinge door :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350837523837436

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'd love to do the hinge door for mine, except it's against a wall and the loft sits on my desk partly. I have access from the front to do it only.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
You could probably work it so the 2x3 lifts up.

If you put a grid in the middle to support it maybe. I don't know. A 2x3 is HEAVY to lift, so it would need to be supported really really well if you plan to have it lift up able. You might want to make it slightly wider then the cage so it can rest on the bars easily. Like a 2x3.5 or even .25 Just so it rests on there and there's no worries of it shifting. I would probably put two grids zip tied together in the middle for support too.

Mine overhangs a 1x2 onto my desk, so I know it's supported. We worked it out so It would fit perfectly. My desk is huge so it doesn't take up a lot of room.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Here's a sample of a cage with a hinged loft. Click on the photos to read more details.

I also had a loft that lifts out, it's for a 2 grid wide cage though.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Wow, thank you! I missed this post catching up on sleep all weekend *derp* I built the girls' new hay box last night, off to find some suitable materials for a new hay rack today. The coroplast has all arrived now, I just need my grids *excited face*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.