Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Unsure. -Craiglist guinea pigs?

elizabethb

Cavy Slave
So, you guys don't know me, but I'm in a bit of a crisis.

I had two guinea pigs. BOTH female (100% positive) one of my guinea pigs got sick, took her to the vet, she had a calcium stone. We did surgery. She made it through recovery, then had complications and passed away.

(Jas and Violet)

Jasmine, (the guinea pig who is still alive) was very depressed. So I searched craigslist, found two very adorable pigs in desperate need of a home. When I received them, they were in a cramped cage, on ceder chips, with a HUGE Bowl, filled with rabbit food. Now, I know a bit about guinea pigs, (not as much as a lot of you guys do probably) but I know ceder is bad, and so is rabbit food. I very slowly switched them off the rabbit food (keeping them separated from Jas) and put them on guinea pig food. Made sure they were healthy, vitals looking good, eating, drinking, pooping, and urinating like champs.

So then I moved their new cage (I had gotten them a larger cage for the time being, just ordered a massive cage from ebay (c&c) that will get here in 10-14 days.) and them into the room were Jazzy is. They got to look at each other, squeak at each other, and touch noses, etc. but they weren't in the same cage. This was about two weeks after I got them. I do NOT have any male guinea pigs, and both Poppy and Iris as they're now called, seem to be gaining weight. first, it didn't bother me too much, now.. I'm not so sure.

I have separated all three pigs as of right now, in case of pregnancy.

Poppy seems to be the one who I'm more worried about, she's on the small side, but she is SCARFING her food, draining her water bottle, eating her peppers (red bell peppers), romaine lettuce, little bit of carrot, and celery, as fast as I put it in there. She's always been a little shy, but now will come to the door and take food from me, and talk to me, so to speak. I have never had a pregnant guinea pig before, so I've never "felt" guinea pig babies, so I honestly don't know how to feel her stomach to find out.
I've been giving her 1/8th of a cup twice a day (according to the bag's directions) of food, plus about a cup and a half of fresh vegetables and she always acts like she's still hungry. She's on unlimited supply of timothy hay, has some coastal hay in her cage as well. (she seems to enjoy that more.) She does do a lot of lying down on her side, and she makes some interesting noises. She's not very active either. Her teats have enlarged some, they're really long. I will get pictures tomorrow.
For now, here are some pictures of Poppy. (I do apologize for her coat, however, she came to me almost bald, either from someone pulling her hair out, or improper nutrition, or I honestly don't know.)

And then Iris, I'm not quite as worried about, as she doesn't seem to "bulge" quite as much, or eat nearly as much as Poppy does. However, she does still have an interesting belly... I will get pictures of her tomorrow during playtime.

In my opinion I would say she is very preggos. Look at the piggy in my profile pic that was her days before giving birth to 4 healthy pups.

Is there anything I should be doing to help her, or just leave her be?

just make sure the cage is baby proofed at this point. I overlapped the grids on the cage to make smaller holes and then put cardboard between them about 12 in high all the way around. Alfalfa pellets and hay too for mom and the babies when they come. Try not handling her too much either.

I generally don't pick her up at all unless I'm cleaning her cage. The sides of her cage go up a good 8 inches and there are no grids (Not a c&c cage YET!), so I'm not too worried about the babies doing anything there.

You really can't tell she's pregnant by her looks, until she's really far along.

The elongated nipples make me think she may have ovarian cysts instead. Do you know how old these girls are?

Could be she is pregnant as the symptoms fit. She could also just being enjoying the proper care she is now receiving.

You really can't tell she's pregnant by her looks, until she's really far along.

The elongated nipples make me think she may have ovarian cysts instead. Do you know how old these girls are?

I have no idea how old they are, all I know is the previous owner was going through a divorce and his wife left him the pigs. Those really aren't good pictures because they're from my phone, but she has large bulges on either side of her spine near her back, but her shoulder blades are "bony" in imo . My Jas, who's been healthy as a horse, has the same amount of thickness going from her head down, so when you look at the two, you see a MAJOR difference. the vet who did my surgery on my Violet, I no longer trust him seeing as my girl die because he didn't do something right, so I'm trying to find another vet as we speak, but it's not looking too good. I live in the middle of no where.

Are you quite sure that both Poppy and Iris are female? Were they housed with a male before you got them? I'm just puzzled as to how they are pregnant. Is Poppy pooping normally? If you gently feel under her stomach and around her sides can you feel individual "lumps" or is she just really round and smooth?

Are you quite sure that both Poppy and Iris are female? Were they housed with a male before you got them? I'm just puzzled as to how they are pregnant. Is Poppy pooping normally? If you gently feel under her stomach and around her sides can you feel individual "lumps" or is she just really round and smooth?

I am 100% positive both Poppy and Iris are female. I have no idea what they were housed in before I got them. I'm puzzled too. Poppy seems to be pooping fine, and her sides do not feel smooth/round. They feel lumpy.

I am 100% positive both Poppy and Iris are female. I have no idea what they were housed in before I got them. I'm puzzled too. Poppy seems to be pooping fine, and her sides do not feel smooth/round. They feel lumpy.

Sounds like babies to me. I've never had a pregnant guinea, but have had pregnant cats, rats, mice, etc. When they get far enough along you can "feel" each baby under the skin. As she get bigger you may be able to see/feel them move. How long have you had her?

Sounds like babies to me. I've never had a pregnant guinea, but have had pregnant cats, rats, mice, etc. When they get far enough along you can "feel" each baby under the skin. As she get bigger you may be able to see/feel them move. How long have you had her?

About a month, maybe 6 weeks? she doesn't like it when I mess with her stomach, so most of the time, I leave her alone.

And has she been slowly getting bigger? I wouldn't mess with her stomach too much either. Can you possibly contact the person you got her from and try to find out more about her history? Like if she's had babies before, or maybe her age? I'm wondering if they had more piggies and the wife took one and left the rest?

Yes, she has slowly gained a good bet of weight.
I have no contact with the man, so I don't know anything about them, except HE didn't know anything about them. (E.g. rabbit food and ceder chips....) She doesn't appear to be that old.

Yeah, you're right. I doubt their previous owner would be much help. Maybe they hadn't had them long and she was already pregnant when HE got her. Just keep an eye on her. I think someone already mentiond, but she should have alfalfa pellets. Hopefully you can find a better vet in case you need one too. Sounds like you are going to have plenty of friends for Jasmine! I'm glad you rescued those girls, even if you wound up with more than you bargained for. :)

I can't help you much with the pregnancy, but please cut up her celery before giving it to her! The strings can become caught in her throat.
Good luck!

I can't help you much with the pregnancy, but please cut up her celery before giving it to her! The strings can become caught in her throat.
Good luck!

I remove the strings before feeding it to her.

I remove the strings before feeding it to her.
I see. It doesn't look like that from the pictures which is why I made the statement. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend!

Unfortunately, if it's not pregnancy, but cysts, time is of the essence. Pigs with ovarian cysts get that bony look to their backs because most of the nutrition they get is going to the growth of the cysts. They can get so large that they become a serious health problem, even bursting.

So the "wait and see" advice works fine if she is indeed pregnant, but you don't know that. I think she needs to see a vet. I hope you can find a good exotic vet asap.

I am another person more inclined towards this sounding like cysts than pregnancy. The weight distribution, thin hair, draining water bottle and food consumption, elongated nipples...take a look at some of the ovarian cyst threads under the Medical and Veterinary section. :sorry:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.