Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior unentered male behavior

g.toneyy

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I'm new to this forum but could use some advice. I'm very familiar with guinea pigs and their needs and behavior, I've had them all my life and try to listen to what they are telling me. Originally I only had female guinea pigs because I know its important to separate them by sex. I ended up adopting a single male guinea pig because I was living away from home and at the time it was fine. I moved back home where my family has three female guinea pigs and obviously this has made him change his behavior. I know that guinea pigs are social animals and I want him to be able to interact with the girls, but since he is unentered its not possible for him to get too close. The female guinea pigs are set up downstairs and my male is living upstairs so they are in separate areas and cannot get to each other. But my boar is fully aware of where the girls are and wants to get to them so he whines and squeaks like I've never heard before. I bring him down so that he can smell and talk to them through their cages and socialize a little but I'm not sure it's enough. I don't really what to get him neutered just because of the health risks and the fact that I don't want to take away that part of him. It only been a few days since he's been around them so I want to know if he will get more calm overtime or if this set up just wont work. Should I get him a another boar to bond with so that he can be social or will this just make the problem worse. I am stumped so I welcome any advice from my fellow guinea pig lovers.

My suggestion would be to get him neutered and let him live with the ladies. In the hands of a competent exotic surgeon, the surgery is safe and recovery usually uneventful. As for "taking away that part of him," I think you're ascribing a lot of mental capacity in that very small brain. He'll be fine, and he'll never know life could have been any other way.

There's no guarantee that he'll get along with another boar or that having a buddy will make him miss the sows any less.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.