Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Uhaul pad vs Bed pad

• Thread starter guineapigpalace
  • Start date

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Hi, I've been looking into homemade liners and have collected a list of why choose either Uhaul or a bed pad.

Similar qualities:
Both about 8 dollars
Both great at absorbing

Bed pad:
Can make 2 liners for the price of one Uhaul liner
Easy to wash
Easy to so and to work with
Thin

Uhaul:
Supposably helps with odor control
(I found several cons people have with this product such as:)
get tinner in the wash
shrinks
difficult to sew
less liners for the same price

Everyone recommends this product on this site but I think it would be better to get a bed pad. Anyone have anything to change my mind.

(I have thought about wood pellets but I think that they might be to heavy for my stand.

Could an admin fix my typo in the title? Please and thank you

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
I've edited the title for you.

How large is your cage? Uhaul pad is pretty large. You can make 2 liners from one pad if you wanted to.

What size bed pad are you comparing it with?

A uhaul pad is 68" x 85", the largest bed pad I could find is a king size, which is 76" x 80", or cal-king which is 72" x 84". The size is not much different.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
My cage is 40" by 55" I thought I saw some at Walmart that would work, or I could just use a recycled one from a round here. Or I could make 1 or 2 pee pads. Another thing that I forgot to mention is it'll be preferable if we could just pick them up from the store instead of paying shipping cost and the closest place that has Uhaul pads is twice as far away from a new bed pad.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
My cage is 40" by 55" I thought I saw some at Walmart that would work, or I could just use a recycled one from a round here. Or I could make 1 or 2 pee pads. Another thing that I forgot to mention is it'll be preferable if we could just pick them up from the store instead of paying shipping cost and the closest place that has Uhaul pads is twice as far away from a new bed pad.

I went back onto the website and discovered that the one that I found were waterproof anyway. We might have to go to the actual store and see if we can find any that are designed to absorb instead of keep out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
When I used mattress pads, I got them at thrift stores.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
After more research, I think I'm going with the mattress pad. Does the waterproof mean that it will still absorb water and has a waterproof bottom or does it mean that it doesn't absorb anything? Because all that I can find is waterproof bed pad or really expensive extra absorbable.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Some waterproof bed pads don't absorb water at all. They are treated with waterproof layer on top, and the liquid will just stay on top.

You'll have to read the labels carefully before buying any of them.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you. I'll also see if there any around here that we can use. That way we can test to see if their waterproof or not.

katkor03

Cavy Slave
I have a 2X5 cage where one uhaul pack has given me up to three pads and then some extra for sewing /: It's a little rough to sew with a machine because it bends the needles, but it's amazing by hand.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Yikes! You must have some tough fingers to sew through two layers of fleece and u-haul lol. If you buy a walking foot for your sewing machine it's a lot easier, it doesn't drag or stretch out the fleece as you sew.

katkor03

Cavy Slave
I made the mistake of not getting a denim capable machine /:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.