Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Uhaul layers, 1 or 2?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!
I am looking into sewing up some more fleece liners for the cage, but this time with uhaul pads. I am leaning towards reversible liners, so it'd be fleece+uhaul+fleece. I've read over and over again that you can use either 1 or 2 layers of the uhaul pad, and considering I'm a very frugal college student, I'd like to make my pads go far :p
I have two pigs, girls, in a 2x5 cage. And I plan to change out the liner every 4 days or so. Here's a pic of the cage: The Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
How many do you use, and why?

Also, just an FYI, Joanns is having a 50% off blizzard fleece til saturday :)

I agree that one layer of UHaul is enough and also agree that a standard sewing machine would be able to handle 4 layers. In fact mine can't even handle 2 layers of fleece plus one of U-haul so when I make mine, I just made sort of a pillowcase with 2 layers of fleece, inserted the piece of U-haul and then made hand stitches about every 6 inches across and down the liner to hold the Uhaul in place.

I use a single layer of uhaul padding in my fleece pads. If the inside layer is too thick, it doesn't dry completely. I put a single layer of uhaul padding under my fleece pads. I also flip my pads so I get use out of both sides. I use two fleece pads, side by side, in all my cages. I can clean one half of the cage at a time while my guinea pigs just move to the other side of the cage.

I've always used two layers. I have never tried a single layer but I might do that since I am needing to make new sets of liners anyway. I change my liners once a week, so I'm not sure if one layer would be able to absorb a week's worth of moisture?

Thanks for the heads-up on the sale!

@Kimberly713.....I just looked at your cage pic after I posted my message above. Are those wood pellets in your "kitchen" and if so, what kind and do you use them whole?

@Raine59
Yes, they are wood stove pellets. I buy them from a local home energy shop; the brand is Somerset. They are just what you'd use as fuel if you owned a wood burning stove. Yep, you just use em whole as they come in the bag. I like them since they're cheap and are efficient at absorbing urine and odor. I mixed in a little bit of aspen shavings too, so thats the lighter stuff you see in there btw

So it sounds as if one layer will do just fine, which i find to be great news :D
wanted to sandwich the uhaul inside fleece to protect it from getting torn in the washer, my last set of uhaul pads were torn up :( I have a top loader washer.

@Raine59
Yes, they are wood stove pellets. I buy them from a local home energy shop; the brand is Somerset. They are just what you'd use as fuel if you owned a wood burning stove. Yep, you just use em whole as they come in the bag. I like them since they're cheap and are efficient at absorbing urine and odor. I mixed in a little bit of aspen shavings too, so thats the lighter stuff you see in there btw

So it sounds as if one layer will do just fine, which i find to be great news :D
wanted to sandwich the uhaul inside fleece to protect it from getting torn in the washer, my last set of uhaul pads were torn up :( I have a top loader washer.

I wash my liner uhaul pieces separately from my fleece pads and I wash them on the delicate cycle. Since I've been doing that, they last longer.

I sew my fleece pads with a layer of fleece on the top with a second layer of fleece under it and a single layer of uhaul pad on the bottom. I stitch around three sides and about 2/3 or 3/4 of the fourth side. I trim the excess fabric around the edges and cut the uhaul pad close to the seam. I flip it inside out so the uhaul pad is in the middle and fleece on the outsides. I stitch the open edge and sew all around the pad about an inch from the edge. I sew through the middle of the fleece pad both ways. (I pin everything before doing any sewing so it all stays flat.)

I see many people talking about UHaul pads. Is this the pad you are referring to?
(broken link removed)

I use two layers of uhaul pads.. I sewed them together.. Not to the fleece.. But if your worried about them coming apart you might consider using a cheaper cotton (instead of fleece) on the underneath. For me.. Fleece can get a lil pricy. It takes me 5 yards to make my liner... Plus I have to make matching accessories :) [GuineaPigCages.com] Uhaul layers, 1 or 2? have fun!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.