Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding U Haul pads and Questions

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I'm finally building my 3ft by 6 ft cage this weekend for my 4 girls. I'm confident quarantine can end, and my 3 recues can meet my original lone piggie.
I bought the U Haul pads, and I think I need to wash them first? Just once, or 3 times, like the fleece? I was planning on putting 1 or 2 layers of U Haul pad, then a thick layer of newspaper, and then my fleece. I'll clip my fleece to the coroplast. Am I doing it right? The U Haul pads don't look like they will hold up in the washer for long-any comments on how long they last? Thanks for any help...

i was wondering the same thing, in terms of how long the uhaul pads will last. i have washed them at least twice before use - mostly because of shrinkage. i notice a real deterioration in the uhaul pad after washing, and wonder how many washings it can stand before wearing out/through. i don't ever put them in the drier though.

Wash them 3 or more times. I've been using them since August. They shrink and shed but its nothing too much compared to the lack of smell when you've used them over and over, unlike towels.

Like I said I started using them in August and I have yet to replace them, so they do last.

You don't need to use newspaper in my opinion. I use two layer with one layer of fleece. I sew them into pads, this is great and if you can sew do it. You'll be grateful because there will be no piggies under the layers.

If I sew the U Haul pads into a fleece pad, the deterioration might not matter because it's inside a "pillow" of other fabric? I was thinking that leaving everything just layered would helpit dry faster, and my girls don't seem to know about burrowing yet-the 3 rescues hang out intheir hidey together most of the time.

Petlovr, you're going to have an awfully smelly cage if you put newspaper between your fleece and your absorbent pads.

Why do you want to use newspaper anyway? It gets really yucky and gross, and smells awful.

You only need to wash the U-Haul pads once before you use them. You can make them last longer by quilting some sort of absorbent fabric over them -- they'll hold together longer.

bpatters, I wash mine 3 times on hot and still got some shrinking after (about a month of use after). It was about 1/2" which is annoying but not horrible.

The Uhaul pads do shrink, so wash in hot water once. I have sewed one layer of fleece to the top of one layer of uhaul pad and it works great. I change the fleece once a week with 2 pigs (but they mostly use a kitchen area with carefresh for their "business") I also made pads for under their hideys with one layer of uhaul between two layers of fleece.

You will not need newspaper : )

When I washed my uhaul pads on the heavy duty cycle, I noticed more deterioration than when I wash them on a regular cycle. I also noticed that each uhaul pad is different. Some hold up better than others and none of them are the same size.

I was the original poster of the uhaul pad review in 2010 & I'm still using the original ones I bought for the review in Oct 2010. They have shown very little deterioration, but it seems that different batches have different results. I wash mine on a 2 hour long hot "sanitation" cycle, then I throw them in the dryer. I'm always very surprised when people complain about them, I can't live without these pads!

I'm getting new pads and fleece soon to welcome a new piggy to our fam, so I'll have to see if there us a difference now. I'd wash thema t least once and then "overheat" them in the dryer so they can shrink if they need to.

do most people use one or two layers of U-haul pads? Currently I use "Piggy Bedspreads" and I love them. But I'm thinking this spring/summer when I have some time I may want to sew some of my own and use U-haul pads - but i'm not sure if I should use 1 or 2 laysers. Also does anyone know where top get the "barrier" fabric that is used in the "Piggy Bedspreads"?

do most people use one or two layers of U-haul pads? Currently I use "Piggy Bedspreads" and I love them. But I'm thinking this spring/summer when I have some time I may want to sew some of my own and use U-haul pads - but i'm not sure if I should use 1 or 2 laysers. Also does anyone know where top get the "barrier" fabric that is used in the "Piggy Bedspreads"?

I use 2, but I still fold the fleece edges under the 2 layers and pin them with the safety pins. But for my next sets I am going to try to sew them together. I'm thinking I might sew the fleece to one layer (easier to sew through) and just lay another layer underneath.

What is piggy bedspreads?

Piggy bedspreads are liners made to fit c&c cages. Very nice woman, have ordered several thing from her (but very long wait because she has lots of orders).

There's a great thread on fleece which is very useful. I don't know for certain what she is using for the barrier. If you google diapering materials there are several options for barrier fabric, as well as absorbant materials. I have made mine using "PUL" for the barrier, and it looks very much like the same barrier fabric she is using. Joann's sells it, but I ordered mine from wazoodle.com.

I am using: fleece on top, Zorb interior, PUL for bottom barrier. Works wonderfully. :)

I think piggy bedspreas are probably "zorb" but they smell in less than a week so I want to DYI some with U-haul pads since tose seem tyo gett better results than zorb

Thanks everyone. Currently, with my 1 piggie, I put piddle pads down, then a thick layer of newspaper, then carefresh on top. I can go 10 days before anything smells, then I just roll it up and toss it. The piddle pads I can usually re-use since they don't even get wet. I know this will change once I have all 4 girls in 1 cage, that's why I'm switching to fleece. I did read the fleece thread, and it was great, except I spent all day washing and re-washing my fleece, LOL. In addition to the cost savings, everyone's cages look so pretty and tidy with the fleece. Guess I have to get the sewing machine out...:p Thanks again!

I think piggy bedspreas are probably "zorb" but they smell in less than a week so I want to DYI some with U-haul pads since tose seem tyo gett better results than zorb

That's my exact thought

Where do you get the Uhaul pads from?
I called the dealers in my Town and they said they don't sell them.

The quilted ones look nice more expensive but nice lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.