Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Two sows have dry feet and one of their's is really bad.

kej4hj

Cavy Slave
So.. a few days ago, i was checking my girls for any abnormalities and i discovered that their back feet seem very dry. And on my older sow (turning 2 in september) her feet are fairly red (they used to be like that but lighter which is why i'm worried because of the colour change)
And on one of her feet, there is a particularly red spot with white in the middle.
To be honest, it doesn't look like it's causing her much pain because she's still hyper as ever but i'm worried for her since guinea pigs hide their illnesses well.
Both of them are still eating fine.

Is their any home treatment i can give her? because i spent quite a bit of my other older pig so i'm a little broke right not. is there any safe treatment for dry feet?

thank you very much for your time!! :)

What kind of bedding do you have your pigs on?

Cold pressed virgin coconut oil can be used on the feet -- you can usually find it at the grocery store or a pharmacy.

But what you mention can be an early symptom of pododermatitis, or bumblefoot. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html for more information on it.

Some beddings can cause foot problems, as can a dirty cage. Make sure the bedding is safe for the pigs, and that you keep the cage clean.

Some guinea pigs lay right in their poop and urine. It might help to routinely soak those back feet in warm water in something like a low lipped pellet dish to clean them up. If they show any signs of bleeding or sores, add some chlorhexidine to a pale blue color to clean the sores and remove any debris. Silver Sulfaidazine is a cream antibacterial ointment that can be applied in a thin layer to any sores. If it's only a bit of dryness, the cold pressed coconut oil works well. I have one guinea pig that tends to have dry back feet. I noticed she amasses quite a pile of poop by her back feet when she sleeps and it probably irritates them. I routinely wash her feet and apply the oil and she seems to love it. I also have a senior that tends to get redness on her feet. I think that's more due to tender, old skin but the soaking/oil seems to keep her feet nice and soft.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.