Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Two meals of vegetables or one meal? Will vegetables stay fresh cut overnight?

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
All along I usually give some pellets in the morning, veggies during theday and some pellets again at night.
I heard it was better to give them vegetables as one small meal and then one bigger meal rather than just all of it once a day. Is this correct and is this the better way to do it?

I bought some small food storage containers, and my plan is to give some vegetables in the morning, pellets during the day and then the bigger portion of vegetables in the evening. When I cut the veggies for the night feed I was thinking of cutting the next mornings vegetables and storing it in the fridge overnight. This way it is easier with me going to school in the morningsa to just grab that and put in to the bowls. Do you think it will be fresh enough stored in air tight containers over night?

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
I feed mine twice a day because they wheek if I don't when I check on them before bed :)

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
same here - if they know I'm around and they don't have veggies I hear about it.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Morning is hell here, they NEED their veggies. I cant even think about having a coffee before. Morning is the big veggie part, then I add hay and change water. In the evening I will give them pellets, change water again, check the hay, and go with a bit of lettuce.
For Doby I give him pellets whenever he needs since he's still under 6 months.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
At our pig palace, we feed 1/2 cup of veggies in the morning (around 10 am), unlimited hay all day long, a 1/4 cup of pellets around 8 am, and another 1/2 cup of veggies in the evening. They wheek too much if we forget to feed them more veggies at night. :)

One member here, Silverbeat, does her veggies on the weekend and packages portions for each day of the week. She puts them in containers after she washes them and decides which veggies will be fed when and how much. If they can keep for a week, they can certainly keep overnight, as long as they are refrigerated. You can read her blog post here.

Good luck!

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try it out.
Made them their veggies like normale just there but did extra iin the containers for tomorrow! So starting tomorrow they will have their two meals a day rather than one big one :p

Also sdpiggyluver, thanks for that link. Good help :)

Hollyberries008

Cavy Slave
I do hay/pellets all day. And i give them Veggies in the morning, and during supper for us at night. They don't eat much of it when i give it to them at night, but it's sure gone in the morning lol.

cam767

Cavy Slave
We also prepare our veggies at night for the next morning. We just put a paper towel in the bottom of the container and then add all veggies (we use the Chinese takeout plastic containers). This way my son just has to put them on the plate and feed them. I would love to do a whole weeks worth but we don't have that kind of room in the fridge.

Hollyberries008

Cavy Slave
I think the only thing i do ahead of time is the leafy greens, and peppers. I like to cut up the Cucumbers, squash, and other stuff when i get them their food. It might have been a couple of bad Cucumbers but they went bad when i had them mixed in with the greens. I don't have a lot of room in the fridge either.