Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Two female Guinea's in Chambersburg PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeCakes26

Cavy Gazer
I'm looking to re-home my two cute female cavy's. Both are less then a year old. I'm re-homing them because I've found I prefer the more bold and friendlier males to the females, and I don't want to put them together and don't have the room to keep them in separate cages. Oreo the oldest, is a even mix of black and white, and seems to be a long haired. But which kind I'm not sure. Same goes with Peaches, my smaller female, who is very fuzzy and is a color mix of like a grayish brown with a orange-ish blond. have always loved Guinea pigs and just getting back into it. Plz good home only! And I'd like to see the cage of where they'd be going whether bought as a pair or separate.

Image1 1 Image2 1

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
If they're already bonded I wouldn't seperate them and send them off to different homes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=34772]magicpiggie[/MENTION]. Please don't separate them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are like people. They have different personalities and dispositions. There is no guarantee that any males will be any bolder or friendlier than yours. Your females are youngsters and haven't had a chance to develop their personalities yet. Handling them more and hand feeding them will get them to trust you more and if they do, they'll be friendlier. It takes time and won't happen in a couple of months. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations about guinea pigs. They're not like dogs or cats. They're prey animals so even the more social ones won't act that way. I think you're giving up too soon and should work with them more to bring out their personalities. Use food as an incentive. I've owned males and females and each had a unique personality and it wasn't based on gender. As a matter of fact, my two friendliest guinea pigs were females and they didn't start out that way. I doted on them and they responded to all the attention I gave them. I wouldn't rehome them to just bring in a couple of others you think will be friendlier. If you're not happy having guinea pigs, rehome them but don't bring more into your home that you might eventually end up rehoming if they don't meet your expectations. Foster males from a rescue to determine if they're a good match for you and then adopt those. Do you have other pets or are these your first? Do you have friends with guinea pigs that you're comparing yours to? I'm curious why you think males would be a better match.

Last edited:

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
I have a male and female guinea pig and I can tell you from experience that my female is much more friendlier and bolder than my male. When I first got the two last year they were very young and acted much of the same. As time went on my my male Klaus started to get bold but he wasn't as friendly as dear Caroline. He liked to bite when being held. Now that I have had them for a while and have taken the chance to bond with the both of them Klaus no longer bites or squirms when I hold him. I agree with pinky, they all have different personalities no matter the gender. You need to take the time to bond with them and let them grow into themselves giving you a chance to understand them. If you decide to get males, especially young ones, you are going to have nearly the same experience.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My females are also friendlier than my males. But the sweetest pig I ever had was a male. It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with personality.

CoffeeCakes26

Cavy Gazer
Because at this time I have more males then females and don't have the room they all need. Especially since my two oldest boars fight hard enough that they draw blood. I've had Oreo for almost 5 months as well as the two boars , Jackie and Benard, which at first I thought all where girls, but wrong, so name change! Unfortunately the other night Oreo lost her babies, not sure why, but all where gone when I got home from work and quickly I separated them. That's also why I got Peaches. I didn't want Oreo to be alone. The pregnancy was not intentional! Please understand that. Oreo is a sweet girl and does come when called, as do Benard and Jackie. Once I saw that the two oldest boys weren't going to get along I brought in two other baby boys, Orin and Kurt to give them a buddy and no fighting because the babies know who the boss is lol. I'd love to keep them all, but because they have to be kept in my room and it's not a big room and I work a lot, they needed buddies and I'd like to just concentrate on the boys and get them into a longer larger cage. Please don't be judgmental! I'm just doing what I think is best for them and for me.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
You should have separated your sow from the boars as soon as you noticed she was pregnant. Even during pregnancy a boar will still try to mount the sow which causes stress and complications. Your boars were most likely fighting because of her. Also I don't understand why you would go out and buy another sow as a companion for your sow and then just try to get rid of them because you don't have the space and time? Why didn't you think about that before you went out and bought more? Maybe a Guinea Pig is not the pet for you? They require A LOT of time and most definitely a lot SPACE! What are they currently being housed in? I am concerned about your pigs as you say ''just now getting back into it'' when you already had three pigs and then bought three more and now you're trying to get rid of two of them? I don't understand............

CoffeeCakes26

Cavy Gazer
If you had read what my last post said, you would know why I bought more, for each of them. As companions because I know it's way better then what I'd be as a companion for them, because I work a lot. Right now each of them is housed in a 50 gallon long tank, with aspen bedding, wooden log like cabins and plenty of hay, water, chew toys. I want to switch them over to the C&C cages, and have each pair of boys against my two outter walls. I bought Peaches knowing that soon I'd be trying to re-home her with Oreo, cause I didn't want Oreo to be alone. I make sure to clean the bedding TWICE a week. And it's up to you to say what is and isn't right for me. I came into this page hoping to not be judged. I Don't go around telling you what to do with your piggies because of your situation, so don't with mine. Again I am doing what is best for them and what is best for me. If it came down to their comfort or mine I'd take theirs over mine.

TalieTheGreat

Cavy Slave
I am sorry if I made you feel upset or if I made it seem like I was judging you. I was just very confused. I understand now what you are saying though. I had bought Caroline from a locally owned pet store where she was housed in a small 2 gallon tank with another male. We brought her home and she would never leave her house and would cry a lot. I then went back for the male, who is now Niklaus (Klaus) and she stopped crying. Also I didn't mean to mean it like you shouldn't have Guinea Pigs... I meant it more as like. I understand where you are coming from with the whole working a lot thing. Also, can I see a pic of your tank? I want to get a bigger one from my fish but I am not sure about how big I wanna go.

CoffeeCakes26

Cavy Gazer
okay here are the pictures. Now for some reason and I DON'T know how it happened but with my girls tank I had to replace it cause it got a hairline crack in it, along one of the seams. Now underneath that I had a piece of wood to stabilize it. And soon I'm hoping to get the C&C cages and place long wooden planks underneath it for stability. Like I said the tanks are 40 gallon long tanks and the wire cage, which I'm glade I did not get rid of is the same size as the tanks. 40Lx18W. And they are all happy cause I just cleaned their homes! lol Need to get a bigger wooden hut for Benard and Kurt!

Image1 2 Image2 2

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I am sorry if I made you feel upset or if I made it seem like I was judging you. I was just very confused. I understand now what you are saying though. I had bought Caroline from a locally owned pet store where she was housed in a small 2 gallon tank with another male. We brought her home and she would never leave her house and would cry a lot. I then went back for the male, who is now Niklaus (Klaus) and she stopped crying. Also I didn't mean to mean it like you shouldn't have Guinea Pigs... I meant it more as like. I understand where you are coming from with the whole working a lot thing. Also, can I see a pic of your tank? I want to get a bigger one from my fish but I am not sure about how big I wanna go.

I'm sorry I don't want to sound or be mean... But you were calling CoffeeCakes26 out for having a male and female together, but didn't you just say you went back to get the male for your female guinea pig? Is the male neutered? Or the female spayed? Why do you have them together?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.