Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Twitching Ear

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
This is an odd one and I searched all over here and GL but couldn't find anything. The left ear of one of my girls keeps twitching. It's just the left one and it does it while she's awake - eating, drinking, etc.

I know that the ears twitch when they sleep but does anyone know about when they are awake? Is this a symptom of something or am I being paranoid? I feel silly calling the vet but I'm going to do that soon if no one has any ideas.

Thank you!

I have never noticed this before. The only thing I can think of is perhaps she has ear mites, or the beginning of an ear infection. Is she eating and drinking normally? Have you been weighing her?

I have been weighing them every week since we first got them - actually keep it in a spreadsheet so that we have the history in case it's needed. They are weighed every Sunday and her weight was steady from last Sunday ... she may have gained a couple of grams but nothing major.

She has been eating and drinking normally. We treated both of the girls for regular mites with Revolution and that treatment ended at the end of October. I haven't researched ear mites so I'll do that now. Are ear mites not treatable with Revolution?

I checked her ears and didn't see anything odd but she is the brown & white piggy so it's hard to see in her ears. Also the twitching stopped around 10am - I was at work but that's when my husband noticed it wasn't happening anymore.

I'll keep an eye on it and take her in if needed. We have an appt with the vet next week for my other girl so I may have the vet check it out anyway even if it doesn't happen again.

Thank you for your help foggycreekcavy!

Nikki does this when I turn the ceiling fan on- the breeze tickles and makes her ears twitch. I don't think that's the case for yours if it's only a problem for one pig- but just a shot.

Yes, Revolution treats ear mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.