Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Turf wars?

FlyinHigh72

Cavy Slave
I have two males neither of which are brand new but I didn't get them together, and a few days ago they started acting really aggressive. The older one, Blaze, has been rumble strutting Simon (the younger one) since I first got them (I wasn't too worried since they never tried to hump each-other), but a few days ago he started chattering his teeth during their out-of-cage time. I kept piece the best I could as long as they were out and they seemed to be doing okay. Then yesterday, they were in their cage and their was a lot of chattering going on. After some time of this Simon flew at Blaze. I separated them and put them in separate cages to keep it from happening again.
When I took them out today, they were both chattering and moving in on each-other. It seems almost like they're having turf wars. Then when I put them back into their separate cages Simon was chewing at the wall of his new cage trying to get into the one Blaze was in. I don't know if I should interfere or how to get them to get along again.​

Well, the rule is if their is no blood, scars, anything that may make then bleed, leave them together. I went though that with my males ^^ i was really worrried. When " flew" , do you mean attacked? Only you can gage this Guinea Pig Behaviour something to help :)

We'd have to know how large their cage is, and how you put them together, to help you figure out what to do.

The way to do introductions is to do it on a large neutral territory, with plenty of food piles around, and leave them there for several hours, if need be. If they don't flat out attack each other, you put them in a thoroughly cleaned cage that has NOTHING in it that smells like either pig. You make sure you've got two of everything -- water bottles, feeding dishes, hideys that have two ways to get in and out, and haypiles (if necessary -- one large one may do it).

If you didn't do that, then all bets are off. Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

Their behavior is totally normal. All guinea pig pairings need to figure out who is going to be the most dominant one. To avoid injury you need to do proper introductions (as per bpatter's link).

First and foremost, though, you need to make sure your cage is large enough. Store bought cages are, for the most part, way too small for even one pig, let along a pair going through dominance issues. Check out the cage size standards on the front page of this site.

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

I introduced them awhile back. They've known each-other for months now, and it only surfaced a few days ago. Their cage is 17 inches by about 40 inches, which is about 680 square inches, or a little less than 5 square feet, so I guess it's too small. I didn't think it was the cage, though, since it started out during their out-of-cage time. When I introduced them, it was in a large, neutral territory with lots of food, but I kept them in separate cages for a few days because I was worried about the rumble strutting. I did move them both into the cage Blaze had been living in when I put them together, though, and I didn't take precautions as to his smell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.