Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trying to save a guinea pig

niftyality

Cavy Slave
I went to a petstore in January and saw a really cute guinea pig that was already sold but he was still living in the store because "he was too young to give out". So anyway, I checked back in March, and the guinea pig was still there! It still had a "sold" written on his cage, but this time...he had lice. I noticed right away he wasn't so active anymore, and it was terrible to look at. Some of his fur around his eye was missing and I could see from one rosette he had on his head that he had lice. I'm planning on going to the shop today and asking if I can buy it. Who would put money down on a guinea pig and not pick him up 2 months later? What's worse is he was put into a cage with 3 other guinea pigs....-__-"

My questions are: how do I treat him? I'm not sure what kind of infestation he has, and I've looked at the lynx site, however, there are no real instructions to how to do it. I kind of need step by step directions.

I already have one guinea pig and I've been looking for his companion.

Please help!

I know this will sound mean but don't buy this pig even if he is in bad shape. You will only contribute to the pet mills and this pig will be replaced with 2-4 more. You are in Orange County and I know that OCCH (Orange County Cavy Haven) is there. It's a nice rescue. If you want another pig then please get one from the rescue.

I would however, talk to the manager or owner of the store and tell them this pig is in desperate need of a vet to treat for mites/lice and any other illnesses this pig has.

Right, I agree with Ly--see if you can get the poor pig for free, people have done it. You're taking the problem off their hands, so they should be fine with it.

I know it will be hard for you, but I think you should leave the pig there. You'll buy him and then he will be replaced instantly.

If you have bought him already, then you need to get hold of some Advantage. If you need more help on dosage then tell me

No I haven't bought him yet. I'm still thinking about it. It was so sad to see him sitting there with these pests crawling on him. I think the whole cage may be infected by now right? So this store is a real problem, and I don't think they're going to clean up the place......I'll see if I can get him for free, or at least alert them about it. One problem is that somebody has already "bought" the pig, but hasn't picked him up. I don't think they will be willing to release him to me, although it's a bit sketchy. I don't think the people who bought the guinea pig will want him anymore after they see what condition he is in....

That's odd. Usually they take them when they pay since they usually get supplies there, right? They have pigs at shelters (there's 2 male at OCACC right now) and in foster through OCCH. They have some really cute young baby boys. You have a male, right?

You can see if they'll give him to you or if they'll pay for the vet bills (which is harder to do at small stores).

If you can get them to give the pig to you that is fine, but I would not pay for this pig under any circumstances. Please try to talk to the manager or owner though about getting this pig medical treatment and in a hurry.

It probably has mites which can be treated with Ivermectin. You would really need to take the pig to the vet, it might have other healthy problems as well. Only a vet can tell you exactly what it has. You could also try reporting the store for animal neglect.

I'm not sure what the laws are like in the States, but doesn't this constitute animal cruelty? Over here in England we have the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), and if I saw a similar occurence here I'd contact them. Do you have a similar organisation in the States?

I heard the RSPCA doesn't do much because the government did not give them much power, but yes we do have similar organizations, but unfortunately, many don't see guinea pigs as important or have strict laws that govern over them or pet stores. As long as they have food and water, they usually won't do anything.

I ended up going to the store and telling them that the guinea pig had lice. What was weird was....in the beginning, the guinea pig was put in the "males" cage, and just yesteday, he was put in the "females" cage. Anyhow, when I told the manager, he opened up the cage, and picked him/her up, checking for the lice, then tried brushing the visible lice from his rosette of, and then he noticed that one ear was damaged, and told me that they'd put neosporin on it...and "thank you!" and proceeded to put him back in his cage. -__-". I asked them to check the sex of the pig again, and they said it was female. I have a male so I couldn't take him anyway. Sad story..

They didn't even treat her? That's really awful. She infected the females if they weren't already. She was probably preggers too if she was with males. What pet store was it? They're opening a Centinela Feed in Costa Mesa. There's a few others in the area too. They sell Oxbow and no animals.

This is the pet store in the Irvine Spectrum. I go in the see the animals from time to time.

I think the spectrum petstore is where I was inspired to build a bigger cage. We were in there one time and they had a Guinea pig that was as big as a large cat! We had just gotten our pigs and freaked because we had no idea they could get that big. Ours haven't though.

Have you seen the petstore at the Mission Viejo Mall? It is a horrible place. Much worse than Petco/Petsmart. Rows and rows of dogs and cats crammed into cages. The people working there seem to know nothing about animals.

I've been into the Spectrum one. The gp tanks were really dirty. The girl was supposed to clean them that morning, but didn't. I told the manager, but she got mad at me.

You probably saw the breeder pigs. They breed them in store. They had the pregnant sows in the tanks up front. Poor pigs. The ones for sale were not even separated by sex and they were older than 3 to 4 weeks.

I think there's a conspiracy in that store, because 2 months ago, the pig that has lice now was "sold"....so that nobody could buy it. Also, it was placed in the male section. 7 days ago, it was in another tank, males, with lice, still sold. 3 days ago, it was placed in the female section, and claimed that it was not sold. When they picked him/her up to check if it was female, I could tell it was a male. Was this just bad management, or trying to cover up wanting to keep certain guinea pigs to breed?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.