Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Trying to bond two sows

Creagan

Cavy Slave
Hey, my sister recently developed a serious pet-fur allergy and had to give me her guinea pig, Stevie. I already have a guinea pig, Dinah. Both pigs are sows. They've been housed in cages next to each other for the past several months, so they could hear and see each other but not touch. "Playdates" on neutral ground went pretty well, with minimal dominance behavior. (My sister was really into letting the guinea pigs "visit" when I was over at my parent's house.)

So a few months after Stevie became my guinea pig, I decided to move them into one, larger cage so they both could have more room to run around. I bought a new cage so neither one would have marked it, filled it with fresh litter, and placed a new food bowl and each of the guinea pig's respective water dishes on different cube grids. They each have their own hidey areas that are also new.

The first hour went pretty well, so I decided to keep an eye on them, but let them stay in the big cage. I did notice that Stevie makes sure that Dinah eats second, or asks permission before they share the food bowl. She also seemed more apprehensive about Dinah's relative clingyness. (Dinah hides behind her when she's startled, and tends to follow her around.) I attribute this to the fact that my sister didn't handle Stevie for a long time due to the allergies, and while she craves cuddles from me, she's not used to that kind of constant attention. (I couldn't take her full-time until the last couple of months.)

Now, the second day, I noticed that Stevie's been getting more dominant. She's doing rumble-strutting more often, and occasionally chases Dinah. Dinah usually runs away squealing and doesn't put up a fight, except for spraying her once, which made Stevie back off. I've been watching them almost all day to make sure there's no fighting. Right now, Stevie's asleep, and Dinah's sitting/sleeping next to her. (Dinah gets up if I make noise.) But Stevie's been growling a LOT, and she gets more dominant when I get closer to the two of them.

So basically, I'm wondering if this means that they're getting along, but took longer to make friends since they're both adults. Or did I do something wrong, and I should separate them? Should I get another food bowl to avoid bullying? I really want my piggies to be happy.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.