Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trying to Bond the Boys

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

As some of you may remember my sow, Helen, died back a few months ago, and since then I have been left with my 2 neutered boys - Tim and Corky.

Right now I am trying to bond them or at least get them to tolerate each other. I just gave them a bath together and they are warming up underneath towels. I pray they can learn to get along. I really can't get any more guinea pigs and if they can get along I think they will be wonderful companions for each other.

I'll keep you all posted. I just wanted to share this.

Thanks,

Lynn

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Oh Lynn, I hope it goes well for you all! Fingers crossed!

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks JarBax!

Right now they are cuddling together underneath a towel and on top of a fleece blanket. I don't know what is going to happen when they go back into their cage...I'm afraid but I'm hoping for the best. It's a new cage so it has no smells and I used different bowls and hideboxes. The new cage is 4 feet by 2 1/2 feet.

When I gave them a bath I was surprized that they aren't as chubby as they look. Obviously, with more hair the body does look bigger but Tim especially looks thinner. He is the older one - 4 years old. I'm going to have to fatten them up with some good veggies. :)

Well, I will keep everyone updated. If this works out I'm going to be so happy for them!

Lynn

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I've just gone through introductions, so am keenly aware of how you feel! The new cage is a good idea, I extended ours (by loads!) and everything was new/disinfeted. I put the veggies on two different plates, in different places (at first) and had two bowls of pellets, and two hayracks (now actuallty have 3!) etc.

I'm not familiar with your situation. Were all 3 piggies together before Helen died? Then, did your two boys not get on?

Yes - please do keep us updated!

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi,

Helen lived with Corky and Timothy lived alone but his cage was always pressed up against theirs.
I'm glad to say that it has been hours now and they are getting along. Corky has established himself as dominant pig by mounting and such. But Tim makes noises that sounds exactly like a girl pig that is annoyed by a male. Helen used to make noises like that sometimes at Corky.
I gave them each a piece of apple and they ate their own, not bugging each other. I have 2 water bottles as well.
The really weird thing is that all my rabbits are fighting now. Its' very upsetting. I have had NeNe and Mojo together for a long time but lately Mojo has been losing weight which I thought was due to old age. But I witnessed NeNe attacking him and he has very weak backlegs and she was jumping on him and pulling out his fur.
I immediately opened the cage door and she left as there is a wooden box that she can use to jump down and have the total shed to run about in. I shut the cage door and Mojo started eating frantically as though he hasn't had a moment to relax. I feel horrible as I noticed he is missing fur around his neck and back. He ate a lot of food and then went straight to sleep. NeNe worked off her energy racing around the shed and then wanted to go back into the cage but I am not letting her. Mojo didnt' even care that she couldn't come in, he was fast asleep.

I set up 3 litter boxes for her and food, water, and blanket. Also, my other rabbit, Tamago, started to bully Mushi. Tamago is a neutered male and Mushi is a female. So I had to move Mushi to a separate cage. She was so afraid. It's as though it is a full moon or something.

Sorry that was off topic. But as far as Corky and Tim it looks like they are going to be okay.

Thanks for listening.
Lynn

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh I meant to add that both boys have popcorned since they've been put together. Even Tim who is the submissive one. :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're good to go on keeping them together. They may still go through squabbles, but it sounds like they'll be able to work it out.

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
I hope you are right, CavySpirit.

Lynn

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Good news about the boys! :) But your rabbit relationships sound like they're keeping you on your toes. I hope everything settles down soon, and you can relax!

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, me too! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.