Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Try again or not with different pig?

MichelleJ

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have a male piggie Asparagus (unsure of age but probably around 1-2 years). I recently foster failed with him.

I adopted another male Calvin who is 6 months old from a local shelter.

A meet/greet was done at the shelter. Calvin chattered a bit & mounted Asparagus. Once the bonding attempts started at home in a neutral area, it did not go well at all - Calvin is extremely dominant. Asparagus started shrieking anytime Calvin would get near him.

I’m returning Calvin to the shelter. Do I even attempt to bond another pig with Asparagus? He is such a sweet little guy.

For 24 hours after the last attempt (when he shrieked) Asparagus was even terrified of me.

I’m afraid another bonding will fail. An option is to get Asparagus neutered & get a young female.

Would that option have a better chance of a successful outcome?

Was Asparagus dominant towards Calvin during the bonding? 6 month old Guinea pigs are also terrors to bond so if you can find a Guinea pig closer to two or three years old, boars often mellow out by then. Saskia from the LA Guinea pig rescue has a great video on boar bonding and the early warning signs during the first meeting. I would recommend trying again with an older, more mellow boar and neutering him if that doesn’t work.

Was Asparagus dominant towards Calvin during the bonding? 6 month old Guinea pigs are also terrors to bond so if you can find a Guinea pig closer to two or three years old, boars often mellow out by then. Saskia from the LA Guinea pig rescue has a great video on boar bonding and the early warning signs during the first meeting. I would recommend trying again with an older, more mellow boar and neutering him if that doesn’t work.
No. Asparagus pretty much just did his own thing & tried to keep his distance from Calvin. Asparagus did no chattering, mounting, rumble strutting or head raising.

I think Calvin is just way too pushy/dominant. He’d constantly rumble strut, chatter & try to mount Asparagus every time they were put together. There was no letting up at all.

No. Asparagus pretty much just did his own thing & tried to keep his distance from Calvin. Asparagus did no chattering, mounting, rumble strutting or head raising.

I think Calvin is just way too pushy/dominant. He’d constantly rumble strut, chatter & try to mount Asparagus every time they were put together. There was no letting up at all.
About two years ago I adopted a boar a lot like Calvin for my two year old Guinea pig Peanut Butter. Harley was six months old and the bonding didn’t work because Harley was too pushy. But because Peanut Butter was also aggressive, unlike Asparagus, I decided to just leave them side by side.
Asparagus sounds like he would be the perfect boar to bond and Calvin seems like the kind of boar who would need to be alone in the long run.

About two years ago I adopted a boar a lot like Calvin for my two year old Guinea pig Peanut Butter. Harley was six months old and the bonding didn’t work because Harley was too pushy. But because Peanut Butter was also aggressive, unlike Asparagus, I decided to just leave them side by side.
Asparagus sounds like he would be the perfect boar to bond and Calvin seems like the kind of boar who would need to be alone in the long run.
I’m just afraid to go through this again even if I’d get Asparagus neutered. I can afford the surgery.

Would a female pig be a better option as a potential friend for Asparagus? I know I’d have to wait weeks after the surgery to introduce him. I just don’t want to put him through an unnecessary surgery.

I had a similar experience with my two females. As far as I know, Millie has always been single. I adopted her last year, she’s 2-1/2 years old. A couple of months ago I adopted Ruby Sue, who is 1-1/2 years old. Both are about the same size.

For 2 weeks I housed them next to each other separated by a grid. Then I introduced them in a large, new space. For over an hour Millie ran away terrified, shrieking and whining while Ruby Sue chased, rumbled, mounted, and otherwise pestered her relentlessly. I tried 3 different times with the same result.

Now they’re in separate cages on opposite sides of the room. Both are more relaxed, especially Millie. Some pigs don’t want a room mate.

I had a similar experience with my two females. As far as I know, Millie has always been single. I adopted her last year, she’s 2-1/2 years old. A couple of months ago I adopted Ruby Sue, who is 1-1/2 years old. Both are about the same size.

For 2 weeks I housed them next to each other separated by a grid. Then I introduced them in a large, new space. For over an hour Millie ran away terrified, shrieking and whining while Ruby Sue chased, rumbled, mounted, and otherwise pestered her relentlessly. I tried 3 different times with the same result.

Now they’re in separate cages on opposite sides of the room. Both are more relaxed, especially Millie. Some pigs don’t want a room mate.
That’s what I’m afraid will happen again with another piggie.
I work from home and Asparagus’s habitat is in my office & he gets floor time while I’m working.

I’m thinking to just leave things as is, not have Asparagus neutered & remain as a solo pig.

I had this problem with 3 boars...the one who needed a friend was Maple Leaf. I took him to meet a boar at the shelter, they didn't react to each other, so they came home. They fought so they went in a divided cage. Next I tried to bond Maple Leaf and another single of mine, Talwar, at the local guinea pig rescue. The rescue said they did great. Got home and the fighting started. I think they only appeared to get along because they were both terrified.

If you like the new pig and don't want to return him, you could keep them in divided cages. I have four single boars. I miss having a pair, but I didn't like the idea of returning them to the shelter. In a divided cage they can still see, hear, and smell each other. They just can't fight!

I had this problem with 3 boars...the one who needed a friend was Maple Leaf. I took him to meet a boar at the shelter, they didn't react to each other, so they came home. They fought so they went in a divided cage. Next I tried to bond Maple Leaf and another single of mine, Talwar, at the local guinea pig rescue. The rescue said they did great. Got home and the fighting started. I think they only appeared to get along because they were both terrified.

If you like the new pig and don't want to return him, you could keep them in divided cages. I have four single boars. I miss having a pair, but I didn't like the idea of returning them to the shelter. In a divided cage they can still see, hear, and smell each other. They just can't fight!
I returned the other pig to the shelter. And I have an appointment to get Asparagus neutered in 2 weeks. I’m hoping that a young female pig will be a match for him after the surgery (6 weeks after)