Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets True Newbie Question...

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Per the vet's recommendation I have switched the boys over to Oxbow pellets. I purchased the bag from the vet, on the front it says Oxbow. I went to Petco tonight to pick them up a couple toys and decided to check out the bags of food for price comparison (Petco is obviously cheaper). I did find one bag that looked like it was the same exact pellets I got from the vet (different brand) but it said nowhere on the bag if they were Oxbow... Sooo... How do I know if they're Oxbow if it doesn't say? (Sorry if this is the dumbest question on earth lol). :crazy:

I don't have an answer to your question but I did find a great price on Oxbow pellets at Dr Foster and Smiths online. Just for future reference...

Petco doesn't carry Oxbow products to my knowledge so they were probably another brand like Kaytee which you should avoid. Oxbow is a really good pellet, and Kleenmama's pellets are the best which you can only get online here: (broken link removed)

I know my PetSMART sells Oxbow but they are REALLY overpriced. I haven't checked Petco but I know they don't carry Oxbow hay so they may not sell the pellets either.

If they're Oxbow pellets, they're going to have the Oxbow name all over the package. If it doesn't have that, they're not Oxbow.

If they don't have a name, they're probably just a generic pellet, and you have no idea what they have in them or what animal they were originally intended for. And my neighbor with two GPs had both of them develop bladder stones on their generic pellets -- both had to have expensive surgery and one died. So I'd be very cautious about them.

Cool, thanks. It's only about $13 from the vet so I'll probably just keep getting it from there since I'm over that way quite a bit. I'll check out those sites though. Thanks guys!

This might be a good time to ask a question I was wondering about. If you have an older pig who needs timothy pellets and then get a younger one (under 6 months old) for a companion and it needs alfalfa pellets what to you do? How do you accomodate both when they are in the same cage?

This might be a good time to ask a question I was wondering about. If you have an older pig who needs timothy pellets and then get a younger one (under 6 months old) for a companion and it needs alfalfa pellets what to you do? How do you accomodate both when they are in the same cage?

I asked my vet this yesterday and she said it was fine for both to be on the timothy pellets. Shelby is about 4 months though, so maybe they are close enough to have the same? If this is wrong someone please correct it before I throw out the old pellets!

This is what my vet put my boys on: Oxbow Animal Health | Essentials - Adult Guinea Pig Food

I
'm so excited because searching through that site and checking what stores carry their products, it looks like the pet store I used to work at carries their whole line of stuff! Yay! I like the thought of a 2 minute drive rather than a 20 minute one! (Yeah I'm a little overly excited about this lol)

I get my Oxbow products from Pet Food Express, because my Petco and Petsmart don't sell it. I recently changed my pellets over to Kleen Mamas pellets that you order online like said above which are a step up from Oxbow products. But I wouldn't feed your pigs Petco products because they are not good quality and tend to have seeds or other things mixed in that you don't want your pig(s) eating. I'd Google where you could get Oxbow products in your area and if you can't get them easily you could always order KM products online and have it shipped to your house. Good luck!

If you're feeding pellets to pigs of different ages, you can put them both on alfalfa if they're under a year old -- just watch for white spots where the urine dries.

Or if one is older, you can put them both on timothy and just feed the younger one some extra parsley at lap time.

By the way random thought of the night... Anyone else remember that amoxicillin you'd get when you were a kid that was pink liquid and tasted/smelled like bubble gum? This Baytrill totally reminds me of that lol. The smell brings back many memories of doctor visits hoping I'd get that amazing pink stuff (even for just a checkup!). Let me tell ya Shelby and Matisse gobble it right up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.