Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Trip to the vet first thing this morning for eye injury

Kristine

Cavy Slave
First thing when we got up this morning the kids went to the kitchen and gave the guinea pigs their veggies. Right away Jo, my 13year old daughter, noticed something was wrong with Zeus's eye. She brought him to me upstairs right away and sure enough there was something edged behind his eye. It was a piece of hay and looked painful. I gave it a gentle nudge to see if it was really in there or just stuck in his eyelid and it wasn't moving. So I got dressed and we loaded into the car to head to the vet's office a half mile away that was just getting ready to open for the day.

Our vet is amazing, she took him right back and started working on his poor little eye. He was a trooper. Didn't really struggle much when we had to hold him down, normally he fights it like crazy when we have to clip his nails or anything. She numbed his eye, pulled out the hay piece and really washed his eye out to make sure nothing else was in there. He has a big ulceration on his cornea. (Having done this to both my eyes myself I know how much pain he must be in) He'll be secluded for a few days and have antibiotic eye gel 6x a day. He goes in on Monday to make sure its healing ok and there is an emergency vet on call all weekend if any issues arise. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him. He was already running around our quarantine cage right away when we got home and munching on veggies. Yay!

Pictures... don't look if you are squeamish.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Trip to the vet first thing this morning for eye injury [GuineaPigCages.com] Trip to the vet first thing this morning for eye injury

Doing better:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Trip to the vet first thing this morning for eye injury

On another note, can I say that I love that our vet is affordable too?! I was thinking it would be a huge bill, it was only $55 for the visit, the removal, staining the eye and the antibiotics. I'm pretty sure the recheck is included as well.

Oh the poor thing!

That looks really really painful! He's lucky that your a good owner and took him to the vet!

Hi Kristine,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and good job of being speedy to get it taken care of. I always wonder and worry about all of those sticking out pieces of hay all the time. I try to round it off before I put it in their holder but it just sticks out all over the place.

I'm sure it was just a freak accident. Their normal hay racks (pictured above is NOT what they normally use) don't even really allow for the hay to stick out like that, I'm pretty sure it was from one of the pieces that were on the floor of their cage. First thing they do whenever I put hay in is to pull it all out into a pile to lay in. So my guess is a piece was sticking up and he jumped into his hay pile and hit it just right. Totally random thing that most likely would never happen again. (hoping anyways)

I would be very upset to find a Foxtail in my hay!! I've seen these removed from dog's nostrils, ear drums and the middle of the leg (where the foxtail had traveled after entering the dog's skin between the toes). They are extremely dangerous, glad you caught it before it worked it's way all the way into the eye socket! Their burrowing abilities are remarkable. Glad your little guy is ok!!

I would be very upset to find a Foxtail in my hay!! I've seen these removed from dog's nostrils, ear drums and the middle of the leg (where the foxtail had traveled after entering the dog's skin between the toes). They are extremely dangerous, glad you caught it before it worked it's way all the way into the eye socket! Their burrowing abilities are remarkable. Glad your little guy is ok!!

I didn't know that thing had a specific name, good to know! I thought it was just split fffrom himm working at it.

Poor little thing. That's so sad. I hope your guinea pig has a full recovery

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.