Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Trimming a Skittish Piggy's Nails

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
My husband and I just tried to trim Mocha's nails (we even bought a clipper for it) and it was practically impossible. We had her wrapped in a towel and she was headbutting and pulling away and squealing and biting whenever we even touched her paw. We couldn't even get one nail clipped!

Does anyone have any tips for doing this successfully?

It take time and practice. Start by taking time to sit her on one persons lap and the other person just hold her paw. Hold it so that she can't pull away. After a few nights of this, my girls got used to having their paw held. They still resist and pull their paws away but they don't fight so violently as they did the first few times.
If one person holds her firmly on their lap like this https://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html then there is less room to wiggle and that will also help.

Well, we can't even hold her in general without her flailing around, and she won't stay on our laps or anything. :sad:

Try the method for holding her in the link above and just hold her a little every night on your lap. It will get better; it just takes time. Her nails can probably wait a week or two as she get used to sitting on your lap. She just needs to learn that being held isn't the worst thing in the world.
Also give her veggies while you are holding her. A leaf of lettuce is always a good bribe.

Yeah we've been holding her every day since we got her (and Chai) in March, but they still are both just too squirmy. They usually won't eat any veggies while we're holding them either. They sure do make this difficult!

Try sitting her up like a baby facing away from you. Offer her something to nibble on. Let your husband clip her nails while you hold her like that. Her back legs will be sticking out in front of her. Start with a hind leg first and just concentrate on one nail at a time. Don't cut fast. Get a good grip on the nail with the clipper and once you know it's right, then make the cut. I prefer to use small cat nail clippers. They're easier to use than larger one and better than human nail clippers. I rub them behind the ears or pet them to distract them. I reposition them frequently to keep them busy. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do it alone.

We found kind of by accident that taco rolling our jumpiest in a towel and holding him on our legs on his back like we're going to clean his sacs allowed us to trim his nails without a flinch. It worked so well I cut little holes for the front paws and tried again. Little more tricky than the back but I got them done a few at a time.

I love the term "taco rolling"! Adorable. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.