Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Tricks?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

I had heard a few accounts of people training their guinea pigs to do a few simple tricks, and I was wondering how likely it is to actually train a guinea pig to do something such as hand target training, purring, or high fiving on command and such? I've had many years in dog training and obedience. I've trained my dog alone since she was a puppy, and she now knows.... Sit, Down, Stay, Bark, Dance, Low five, High five, Bow, Back off, Leave it, Which hand (Put a treat in one hand, close it, and have her find which hand it's in) And she also learned the names of each one of her toys (She has about 20 or so, I've never really counted) And can be told to get a specific one. So I'm confident in my training ability, I just want to know if it's really possible to teach a guinea pig a trick or two, because I thought it would be something fun for me and the pigs to do.

Thanks,

The human, Fus, Ro Dah, Godric, and RIP Phoenix

You really can't deliberately teach them stuff like that...they may do it on their own, but it'll be because they want to. lol

You can search on You Tube, there are people who have taught their pigs simple tricks. One is walking in a circle to get a treat. I don't think your pig will learn advanced tricks, though, like "high five", but maybe you can teach them to step onto your hand to get their treat.

Some guinea pigs may be able to learn a few simple tricks, but some will refuse to do it. My old guinea pig Carrot could perform 'circle' and when I pushed his bottom slightly he'd race up the stairs. Broccoli refused to learn anything though.
It seemed to depend on the piggie. Also, starting younger helps I think.

I've seen piggies that can 'shake a paw' and 'do circle' before. I don't know how you train them though.

My guinea pigs only come when i snap my fingers. They immediately walk over to me. my boy knows that he wont get his treat until he climbs into my lap (just sitting on floor of course). My grl is impossible to train to do this because shes always so scared when you come too close to her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.