Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Tricks?

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
I'm currently in the process of trying to train my girls to stand on their hind legs for a treat. I was wondering if anyone else had effectively trained their pigs. I know guinea pigs are not exactly the smartest animals, but it seems to be going well so far. They already stand on their hind legs much quicker now, as opposed to putting their front feet on something.

I want to do this as well. I've also heard of people training their pigs to "circle".

My boy Bocefus does "circles" very well for some yummy veggies! and Waylon stands up when you say "up"! It's adorable. Sometimes he falls down backwards on his bum and you can't help but laugh.

Sometimes he falls down backwards on his bum and you can't help but laugh.

OMG! I'd just die laughing. He's probably thinking "Stupid human. Making me stand up."...ROFL

Seriously, though, how long did it take them to learn a trick?

My very first pair of pigs were very food motivated and had tons of energy. I taught them how to circle, beg, shake (step up on my hand), speak (wheek) and a few other tricks.
Leo and Felix on the other hand....are a different story. Felix is too busy hiding from me and Leo is too stubborn to learn tricks. He knows he will get the veggies either way so he doesn't bother :p

yep. yummy carrots or cucumbers or any other special treat your piggie is a fan of, they will willingly do "tricks" for. Just got to find that special little treat! :)

That sounds amazing! Any tips?

My pigs love to play "Run away and hide from the big terrifying hand even though it's holding a terrifyingly massive, yummy piece of lettuce." They're pretty talented at it. ;)

My pigs love to play "Run away and hide from the big terrifying hand even though it's holding a terrifyingly massive, yummy piece of lettuce." They're pretty talented at it. ;)

That's hilarious! My piggie does the same if I reach in from the top. I made a door on the front and use that now and he comes straight up to me. :D

I made a door on the front and use that now and he comes straight up to me. :D

Such a great idea! My cage is on the ground. Soon, I'm going to put the cage on a table so I'm not hovering over them like a predator!

i have seen videos where they had their guinea pig hop over books like low hurtles

I have two that I trained to do a counter clockwise circle when I say, "Do your trick." The second one only took me two days to train her. My son taught one we had quite a few years ago to shake paws. Nigel would lift his front leg when my son would point to it.

I cannot even get my hand close to my piggies. Ugh! I sit with them everyday during floor time but the moment I move they scatter! That is awesome you guys taught them!

I think the jury's out on how smart piggies are. Since we humans recently got smart enough to bring them indoors. At least, that's what I've read.

As far as training piggies is concerned, I know it's possible because I've seen many examples. There's training videos on YouTube too.

Training Up
Training you guinea pig the "UP" command/ trick - YouTube

Training Circles
Training pash circle trick - YouTube

Lots of Tricks for a Guinea Pig (see underbar for list of tricks)
15 Guinea Pig Tricks - YouTube

Something to think about. Cats aren't easy to train, not because they're stupid but because they're very independent. They're their own boss. Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, guinea pigs are a bit independent too? Is it possible guinea pigs are smarter then what we give them credit for? Just a thought!

I managed to grab a photo of Borat doing his one and only big trick today. He sits up and begs like a dog for veggies. He always stood up against the cage bars when he knew we were coming with food, so we modified that by holding the food up inside and cage and he learned it very quickly. Amy, on the other hand, is too much of a diva to lower herself to such antics.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Tricks?

I guess all your replies prove that guinea pigs are certainly smart enough for tricks! My girls are extremely food motivated, they freak out when
I bring them veggies. They even freak out when I bring human food upstairs, so I think they'll be easy to train. They will only do it for lettuce though, that's their favorite treat. I try to give them fruit, and carrots for special treats, but all they want is their lettuce.

@mufasa- That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Only my girls are so lazy. If I have Harmony do the trick first and give her the lettuce, when I try to have Holly do the trick, she'll just go over and try to steal Harmony's lettuce. Borat is adorable, by the way.

That's so cool. I want my pigs to put the ball in a cup.

@mufasa - That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Only my girls are so lazy. If I have Harmony do the trick first and give her the lettuce, when I try to have Holly do the trick, she'll just go over and try to steal Harmony's lettuce. Borat is adorable, by the way.

Smart piggy! How about working on tricks with them, one on one? It might be one way to solve the problem. :)

OOOOH I can't wait to try out some tricks!! What about making g-pigs jump over low little jumps and things or is that just WAYYYY stupid? Like if they were made out of wood or something? Anyone tried? Or would they put their little backs out? :)

I'm thinking of trying to teach Borat how to jump up on top of something rather than over it. He and Amy both come out and jump onto their kitchen platforms if they're hiding and I tap the plastic (they know it means I'm going to serve something tasty), so I think I can adapt that into jumping on a box or something. Since they do it naturally, it shouldn't hurt their backs to just jump up.
OOOOH I can't wait to try out some tricks!! What about making g-pigs jump over low little jumps and things or is that just WAYYYY stupid? Like if they were made out of wood or something? Anyone tried? Or would they put their little backs out? :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.