Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Treating mites

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I think my piggy Harper may have mites. There is no hair loss or scabs on him, but I do notice him scratching — the fact that I have seen him scratch at all causes some alarm. I've seen him do it a few times a day. I got him almost a month ago so I suspect mites.
I have Ivermectin paste, but how should I administer it? Is it possible for me to apply it topically? I do not have a kitchen scale (I am at home for spring break), how should I go about dosage?

Thank you!

Here is the link about dosing. https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

Once you have the dose figured out, you can put the paste behind their ear once a week. Because I'm always worried about dosing, I put the correct dose on the back of a spoon and then add it to the ear. That way if I mess up, I can wipe it off the spoon and try again.

I just found out I have DuraMectin 1.20% (or something around that, i'm not sure of the exact percentage but I know it's over 1%). Is this safe to use on piggies?

Yes you will have to use less however to be safe. Once you know that correct percentage that you bought and the weight of your piggie, you can figure out the amount you need.
For example, if you have a 1kg piggie you would dose with 0.05 mL of 1.0% ivermectin but with 1.2% ivermectin you would only use 0.042 mL.

Yes you will have to use less however to be safe. Once you know that correct percentage that you bought and the weight of your piggie, you can figure out the amount you need.
For example, if you have a 1kg piggie you would dose with 0.05 mL of 1.0% ivermectin but with 1.2% ivermectin you would only use 0.042 mL.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! I do not have a kitchen scale currently, but I am thinking about taking Harper and Scout to the vet to be weighed anyways.

A good scale will cost you much less than vet visit, and there's no need for a vet visit for mites.

Do NOT treat with the Duramectin until you know EXACTLY what the strength is and how much your pigs weigh.

You should think about getting a scale because it is a really good way to monitor their health. You can find a cheap one at a big box store for less than 20 bucks and I use mine every week. Its worth the money. :)
For example, my Eleanor lost 10 g from last week to yesterday! I have no idea why but now I can weigh her everyday and if the trend keeps going I will take her to the vet.

Just found out it's 1.87%. Can someone help me figure out the dosage for that percentage? Math and I are mortal enemies.
I also did not buy this paste, it was given to me by a fellow horse friend. If the 1.87% is just too strong, I have no qualms against buying the better kind.

Ok, I used the 1.87% paste too. All you need to do is find the correct dosage for 1.0% at the weight of the piggies and then divide by 1.87. For example 0.05 mL/1.87=0.027mL. Hope this helps. Use the spoon technique because it is hard to measure such small amounts correctly and you don't want to overdose the piggie.

P.S. once you find out Harper's weight, feel free to post the dosage that you are planning to use and the forum members can double-check your math. :)

Hey, wait a minute. You don't use the paste topically, it has to be used orally. You can only use the injectable or the Pour On topically.

I have finally weighed the piggies! Harper is 1.75 lbs or 28 oz, while scout is 2.2 lbs or 1000 grams.
Can someone help me figure out dosage? Thank you! :)

@(broken link removed) is correct you the paste needs to be dosed orally so you will need to dilute for the oral specifications found here https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html and then divide by 1.87. I found that the paste is more soluble in water than anything else, but it doesn't store well so you will have to make a new solution each week.

You can make a solution of 0.1 mL of paste and 0.9 mL of water. Then the chart says dose Scout with 0.2 mL of the soluiton... however because you are using 1.87% paste to begin with you need to divide 0.2 mL / 1.87 = 0.10 mL of YOUR solution. This is because your paste is essentially twice as concentrated as the 1% paste that the website uses.

You said it needs to be administered orally? Can the paste be applied topically? I can certainly give it to them orally, but I will need to wait until tomorrow to buy the little syringe. I wish I had kept the one I got when Oliver was treated for allergies!

No, the paste is not to be used topically. You will need to get a syringe.

Alrighty, no problem. Thanks :)

You should look for a smaller syringe because you need to measure out 0.1 ml or less.

What you need are 1 cc syringes, like insulin syringes except without the needles. You can get them online, but if you tell a pharmacy that you want them for a pet and that you don't want the needles, they may be able to sell (or give) you a few.

What you need are 1 cc syringes, like insulin syringes except without the needles. You can get them online, but if you tell a pharmacy that you want them for a pet and that you don't want the needles, they may be able to sell (or give) you a few.

Thanks, bpatters! That's a great idea! The pharmacy people around here are really nice, I bet they'll give me a few.
Thanks for your help, everybody!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.