Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Treating a bitten ear

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hello,
When we picked up Harper from his foster mommy, we noticed that one of his brothers had bit his left ear and now it is split almost completely in half! :(
What is the best way to treat this injury? His ear is not swollen although it does seem to be hurting him today. I have been putting an antibiotic ointment on it twice daily to fight infection. Is there anything else I should do?
Thank you!

Yes, take him to the vet. It may need to be sutured, but there's a window of time in which can do that, otherwise it's too late. He may also need antibiotics to prevent any infection from setting in -- if it does, he could wind up losing his ear.

Will he be okay if I wait until tomorrow afternoon to take him in? The vet is currently closed. It has been two days since the incident. Should I keep applying topical ointment?

umm when I waited 24 hours before having a deep wound on my hand looked at I was told it was to late to suture and I should just keep putting betadine ointment on it and keep it closed with a butterfly bandage. so 48 hours sounds like past time limit.

Yep, too late for suturing. But I'd still take him in to check on the antibiotics and maybe for some pain medication.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.