Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching treated for mites, seen by vet, what the heck?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
my 5 year old boar george came to me from a rescue and has always scratched quite a bit. i took him to the vet, who couldn't see anything - no fleas, mites, etc. we decided to just go ahead and treat him and my other 2 with revolution anyway. it's been several weeks, with no noticeable improvement in george's itching. his coat is soft and silky, he's eating, drinking, active,etc. no other signs of disease, illness. any ideas about what i could be? i was going to get some shampoo from gorgeous guineas anyway, since one of my boys in an abbyruvian and will need a shampoo soon. any reccomendations for a shampoo or lotion for george's skin? maybe some soothing lotion or shampoo that might lessen his discomfort that i could try?

I have had the same problem jacqueline, my Ted was treated for Mites even though there was no sign of them, yet the itching persists. The only other thing we can think of is he either has naturally dry skin, which will be interesting to see what people say about lotions and shampoos or as we use fleece, that he is allergic to the detergent we use. So I have been washing his fleece in the washing machine on a hot setting and putting white vinegar in instead of detergent and putting it on a high spin setting. I have not noticed him itching any less, but will give it a week or so and see what happens.

i have always used fleece and use only detergent without perfumes or dyes. i have always wondered about just plain dry skin myself. anyone else out there have pigs with dry skin? what lotions/potions/ etc have you used?

I don't have a brand/type of shampoo or lotion to suggest, but maybe he has allergies.

Usually skin treatments with aloe, oatmeal, or tea tree oils are supposed to sooth skin, so I would suggest trying a shampoo with one of those ingredients. But if your piggy is anything like my dog, he'll be allergic to the shampoos too.

Please be careful, I remember reading in a thread that tea tree oil is not recommended for guinea pigs as it can contain pine tree oils. maybe a mod could chime in on that though

Do not use Tea Tree oil on guinea pigs.

All pigs scratch occasionally. The hard thing is deciding if the pig is scratching more than usual. Some guinea pig breeds seem to have drier skin--teddies and some of the longer haired breeds. Sometimes if you raise the humidity level in their room it helps.

If you have treated for mites, see no bald spots or wounds from scratching, and the pig doesn't protest loudly when touched, then I would go ahead and try a rubbing a little extra virgin coconut oil in the skin.

One of my guys(Roger) has very dry skin on his bum and the vet recommended a tiny amount of mineral oil to sooth it. I have read others using coconut oil. Roger is very wide hipped and has trouble grooming his bum. Huey goes through scratching spells and we never could find anything that caused it but he is my more nervous piggy. Since you said you treated him for mites it may remain a mystery.

Please be careful, I remember reading in a thread that tea tree oil is not recommended for guinea pigs as it can contain pine tree oils. maybe a mod could chime in on that though

Sorry. I forgot to consider ingredients that are appropriate for guinea pigs. Thanks for catching that.

**Face-Palm**

If they've only been treated once, they might need another treatment. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment to eliminate mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.