Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Travel?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if guinea pigs can fly in an airplane? Is it safe? If so, does anyone know of any airlines (in the U.S.) that allow them? Thanks! :)

No U.S. airline will allow guinea pigs in the cabin. Some allow them as checked baggage (with special treatment), and some as live cargo.

Continental is the only airline I'd consider flying pigs with -- their PetSafe program has a really good reputation. If you're flying overseas, Lufthansa is also very good with animals.

But with all airlines, it depends on the weather at both the departure and arrival airports. If it's too hot or cold, animals don't fly. In the U. S., most carriers won't handle animals during the summer months.

It's very stressful for the pigs, and I wouldn't make them fly unless I absolutely had to.

I doubt it's possible in the cabin. In the cargo area with a box it should be possible, depending on the airline. But as bpatters said maybe it's best to avoid it if possible.

I think, my opinion, if you check a pig as luggage so it flies in the cargo hold, it won't make it. The cargo hold is much colder than the cabin (think how high a plane flies, and how cold it is up there), and much draftier. I would think it's dangerous in the cargo hold. Besides, what happens when their ears pop on the way up and on the way down? I'd be afraid they would be in pain.

You can't check a pig as luggage in the cargo hold. All pets have to fly in a pressurized, temperature controlled area.

If you are traveling in the US - Frontier Airlines does allow guinea pigs to be brought into the cabin in an approved carrier ((broken link removed)). This is the only airline that I have found that allows guinea pigs in the cabin with you.

Hope this helps!

That's good to know about Frontier.

Thanks so much mickey1007! I would only fly with her if i was moving to another (U.S.) state, which I may be, that's why I ask.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.