Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water transitioning from water bottle to bowl--experience?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Has anyone had any problems or success in switching to a water bowl?
I much prefer using bowls to bottles. My rabbits all use bowls.
But I just got a pair of 1.5 year old piggies who have spent their lives in a too small cage.
They have been using bottles. I put a bowl near their waterbottle, but so far they have ignored it.
I'm getting ready to switch them to their new cage and was thinking of just not putting the bottle in thenew cage.
Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

Bianca427

Cavy Slave
I want to do this too. Right now they have water bottles, but I feel like it'll be way easier to just have bowls. Maybe when you switch them into the new cage don't put the water bottle in the cage at all. I feel like the guinea pigs can smell the water. Every time I re-fill the bottle they smell the whole thing and then take a drink so I'm sure they'll figure out to drink out of the bowl. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think water bottles are better. Guinea pigs tend to poop and pee in their bowls and they get tipped over. stepped in. I think as long as they're rinsed and cleaned out, water bottles are much more reliable and hygienic.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I agree with pinky. My pigs will dump water bowls, which makes a huge mess!

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
I use a water bowl, the tick tick ticking of a bottle would drive me mad :) the piggies will work it out and its cute watching them all have a drink at the same time. A shallow ceramic bowl wont get tipped but you will find a poop in there every so often.

PizzaPiggy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I myself prefer bottles because I don't have to worry about my piggie tipping it over or her getting bedding in the water and contaminating it.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I think water bottles are better. Guinea pigs tend to poop and pee in their bowls and they get tipped over. stepped in. I think as long as they're rinsed and cleaned out, water bottles are much more reliable and hygienic.

I strongly disagree. I have used bowls for a year and they are rarely tipped over (maybe 2x) and have NEVER been pooped or peed in. I mean really, they would have to hike their butt up over the bowl to poop in it and that would be quite a feat!

A correctly sized crock prevents tipping and filling up with debris. A plastic bowl will not work, it will tip from being too light. A ceramic crock is needed.

I was encouraged to use a bowl when one of my pigs was having some calcium issues because they said they tend to drink more from a bowl. It worked for my pigs quite well!

we also use bowls sometimes at the rescue and don't have any problems.

I have an 8oz bottle and bowl in each of my cages and the water bowls get used a lot more than the bottles. I fill the bowl at least 2x a day and this is for 2 pigs in 2 different cages (4 pigs).

pinky

Cavy Slave
I strongly disagree. I have used bowls for a year and they are rarely tipped over (maybe 2x) and have NEVER been pooped or peed in. I mean really, they would have to hike their butt up over the bowl to poop in it and that would be quite a feat!

A correctly sized crock prevents tipping and filling up with debris. A plastic bowl will not work, it will tip from being too light. A ceramic crock is needed.

I was encouraged to use a bowl when one of my pigs was having some calcium issues because they said they tend to drink more from a bowl. It worked for my pigs quite well!

we also use bowls sometimes at the rescue and don't have any problems.

I have an 8oz bottle and bowl in each of my cages and the water bowls get used a lot more than the bottles. I fill the bowl at least 2x a day and this is for 2 pigs in 2 different cages (4 pigs).

I'd say do whatever works for you. Poop and debris can get in a bowl when they jump around. I think bowls are fine if you're around a lot to empty and replenish the water. I'm sure there are probably guinea pigs that have a preference one way or another. The rescue I volunteer with has always used water bottles so it's been a given for me. As far as drinking more, I don't think there is a difference between the amount of water they'd drink either way. If they're thirsty, they'll drink from whatever source is available to them. I clean and fill my bottles every day.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I wasn't intending this thread on turning into comparing the pros and cons of bowls vs bottles. I know people have differing opinions. As pinky said, "whatever works."

I use these types of bowls:
Waterbowls
They cannot tip over or be spilled since the clamp is attached to the cage wall.

I know my experience with rabbits has shown me that they do indeed drink more water from a bowl. (I cannot say that about piggies though since I just got them) I started off with bottles but one persistent bunny got so frustrated trying to get enough water from the bottle. When I switched to the bowl, I was surprised to see how much more water he would drink. Since then, all of my rabbits drink from bowls.

Anyway, that's one reason I prefer bowls. I also find them much easier to clean.

My main purpose for posting was to see if anyone else had any problems switching to a bowl, and if so, how they handled it. I am mostly curious to see if my piggies will make the transition. They seemed to ignore the bowl and just continued using the bottle in their tiny cage. Maybe with the transition to the new cage, I won't offer a bottle and then hope they will catch on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.