Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Training your guinea pigs

mmm_missy

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody!

Today is my birthday and Christy already wished me a happy one! I thought that I would post a little about me and my pigs.

I currently have 12 guinea pigs. We started with 2 and we all know what can happen from there. I am hoping that I seperated the last litter in time so there are no more "surprises"! Although 2 of my girls are getting quite large again!

One of my biggest questions I have for everyone is...How do you train your guinea pigs to not be so skittish when you go to pick them up? Although my guinea pigs come over to me and even don't mind my hands or arms reaching in to pet them, the minute I put my hands under or around them they freak out, but once I am holding them they are fine and snuggle and purr. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It just takes time and veggies. Offer them a veggie every time you pick them up.

FurryCritters
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mmm_missy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree that the true joy is holding and snuggling with them, I have a couple that love to rub noses with me! Most of them will take food from me as well, and I usually give them a treat while I hold them, but it gets very frustrating, especially when I am trying to get them out of the cage to give them floor time or clean their cage because my cages are so large to try to "capture them" is not easy at all. Of course I would prefer they walk right onto my hands but...I sure hope in time they get there.

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
Hi again,

My one boy is really scared of me, he flips out when I go to get him, I have too been using veggies to get him to come to me. But we are working on it, my other two do not like to be picked up, but they are safe as and sound as soon as I hold them and they snuggle.

Wow 12 piggies, good luck, and again happiest blessing today on your special day.

Access

Cavy Slave
They like being on your lap, but they hate being picked up.

About the only thing I have been able to train him to do is stand upright on his hind legs.

For floor play, I will either bait him with a veggie, or touch him from behind and he moves forward. Eventually I can guide him out of the cage this way. If I try to pick him up, he just runs out of my hand.

Sometimes if he sees me, and if I get down low enough, he will come out of the cage also.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Mine are the same, they either stay or freak out, but once I have them in my arms and lap, they just snuggle. It takes time and some never change, but they are always playful and happy. Which makes me happy.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Boy, do you all make me feel better. My one pig who is 1 1/2 is still so shy and skittish.
I feel guilty when I have "to chase" him to pick him up. Once I do he is ok and likes to be stroked and pet. He loves his veggies and does talk to me when bring in his goodies.
I have a new little guy. I don't know his age. He's small ( but he is growing). I have had him about 3 weeks now. At first he didn't know to eat all the veggies. I thought my older guy taught him, because now he loves the veggies. I also thought the older one taught him to be so skittish. He too runs and hides when I pick him up for lap time. He is very calm and seems to enjoy the attention when I do hold him. So I guess the point of all this is, they will always be skittish when you try to pick them up?
But ok and enjoy loving when they are picked up?

pennick

Cavy Slave
I finally found an easier way of capturing my piggy. Their food is on the 2nd level so when one of them goes to eat, I took a piece of coroplast and put it through the grids (where one grid meets the next one, theres about 1/4" opening) to block them from escaping and allowing me to scoop them up.

FurryCritters
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.