Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toys for a syrian hamster?

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
I have a syrian hamster of course. Her name is hudini and I really have no idea what I can give her for her to play with. At the momet she has a little house, a wheel, and a critter trail tube that she can't even fit into (I don't think. She never goes into it). The one thing she does when shes bored is climb the cage. She also will chew on the water bottle and drain the water out of it which is horrible on my part. Is there ANYTHING that could be entertaining to her that I can give her? She has little treat chewy things that are made from wood that she chews on. I also let her out of the cage in her ball every day for a half an hour to an hour.

I was thinking that since she loves to climb maybe I could get a hamock for her cage and put it in the corner with a bird ladder to get up to it with but I'd be afraid she'd chew it up.

NikkiPPanther

Cavy Slave
You should get her a ball to roll in for about 20mins a day.It will give her exercise with loads of fun!! But remember dont keep her in there for to long because there is not a lot of air and food/water. Even the car wheel things. I had a winter white hamster named Alvin, he pased away in May, I was so sad. Some chew toys like the kabab things are also fun.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Personally my dwarfs both (one of them has passed) hated the ball.

I know many people recommend bin cages but after much consideration I don't really like them. I think for hamsters they need more of activity rather than space. I also know many people hate Critter Trail cages but I find that my dwarf really likes it. Now, I do not know if you can get them at feed stores, as I no longer shop at pet stores but I got mine from one before I convinced my mom to not shop there anymore.

I also know there is a sort of 'fence' that you can put around a cage, they cannot get out of it but they can roam outside of their cage, but I believe it is $20 but you could probably just get wire shelving or some other form and make it yourself.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
I have a store bought guinea pig cage with the 'fence' stuff you are talking about around it. My hudini likes to chew on her ball when she's in it so she really doesn't enjoy it. As for the critter trail cages... I really don't enjoy them. They're pretty hard to clean and break way too easily. I have one from my past dwarf hamster that I had to tape parts together to get them to stay on. I'm thinking about just getting her some more bird toys that she can chew on and climb up. If there are any other ideas on keeping her busy please do help me out! Thank you guys sooo much.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I used to let my hamster fun around in the bathtub. It was completly dry, and I plugged the drain so there were no injuries. She would waddle around in there, it was like floortime for hamis. When she wanted out, she would climb up the side of the tub using an overhanging bath mat and then go down my leg. She loved it.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
Thats actually a great idea! Thanks louie_joey!

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I used to let my hamster fun around in the bathtub. It was completly dry, and I plugged the drain so there were no injuries. She would waddle around in there, it was like floortime for hamis. When she wanted out, she would climb up the side of the tub using an overhanging bath mat and then go down my leg. She loved it.

I used to the same exact thing before my other hamster passed away. The one loved it and the other was kind of neutral about it.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
My rats have play time in the bath tub together. I have four females but one of them is housed alone because she likes to fight and bite the other three. I put them in the tub with cardboard rolls, old clothes to dig in, cardboard boxes and a plate of apples sometimes. They all get along great in there and they love to bound away with chunks of apples to eat. They also like to stand under the drips that come out of the faucet. It hits them and they lick it off and wait for another to fall. lol I make it like a little amusement park there. You should try the same. Just don't put the boxes near the side where she can jump out. I had that problem when I first tried.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
I get toilet paper tubes and stuff food in and then seal the ends. I also have ancient Smarties boxes (the plastic stacking kind) and those are fun too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.