Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toy Ideas? Please.

ElvisPiggy

Cavy Gazer
I live in a very small town and the stores available sell only the basics for Guinea Pigs like hay, pellets, and water bottles. I have to buy my guinea pigs vitamin C drops in a different city, and have to travel quite far, so I stock up, anyways I bought some wood chews for guinea pigs at petco and Elvis loved them. Sadly he has gone through all of them, and so he has no toys. I give him paper towel rolls, but he seems bored with those and barely chews at the corners. Are there any safe alternatives to pet store wood chews that anybody has used? I know that it must not be pointy wood or painted or with any glues, I was thinking wood Janga blocks, but then figured that they probably have a varnish on them so forgot that idea. All I have available to me is a Walmart, and I can't order online since I don't have a credit card. I would really like to find something for him to be able to chew and play with until I can make my next trip to the other city in a few months. Any safe DIY toys that anyone knows about?

I make my piggy a paper towel roll treat toy. Take a paper towel roll, cut holes on the side, (make them a little bigger than a cut piece of veggie or treat could fit into), and close the end with paper. (Tape it on the inside by putting the tape on the paper, sticky up) Stick veggies or treats through the holes. Give it to your piggy! lol He will have to roll it around to get the veggies. :)( Watch him to make sure he doesn't chew on the part with the tape) If you can think of a safer way to keep the paper on, then please post it.:)

(Just letting you know my time is wrong) You could also find something that makes a noise interesting to your piggy,(maybe something he hasnt heard before) and put in in the roll. Close it off, just dont put holes.

I saw this "adventure cave" idea in a magazine, but have adapted it slightly and added a tunnel. It's made from an old, worn out towel ripped into ribbons, and a cardboard box. My piggies absolutely love it, and it cost me nothing. :)

Toy Ideas? Please.Toy Ideas? Please.

@WinnieGigg That's such a neat idea I'm going to try it. Thank you so much. It will certainly make my guinea pigs cage funner, and like you said it looks inexpensive and easy to make :)

@mcbean2006 That sounds like a great idea! Thank you. I'm sure he would like that and it's nice because it will keep him entertained instead of just pulling the veggies from the bowl. :)

Fleece is a much safer choice for something like that. Towels ravel, and the pig can ingest the threads and wind up with an intestinal blockage. Fleece doesn't.

And those are what we usually call "fleece forests."

Fleece is a much safer choice for something like that. Towels ravel, and the pig can ingest the threads and wind up with an intestinal blockage. Fleece doesn't.

And those are what we usually call "fleece forests."

It was called an adventure cave in the magazine. Thanks for the tip about fleece. I've just had a load delivered to make them some more cage liners, so I'll cut some of that up and swap it over.

ping pong balls make good toys. Also, any rectangle shaped box like a soda can box can make a great tunnel. Or oatmeal box (the round ones.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.