Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss total hair loss

daphne199418

Cavy Slave
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]i have a 2 year old female guinea pig. she didn't have long fur, but it wasn't very short either.[/FONT]
guinea pig has been almost totally bald for over a month. i've taken her to the vet 3 times and he has checked her for mites, lice and any other parasite. he also gave her ivermectin but it hasn't helped. i don't know if this has anything to do with the hair loss but she had a wound on her leg that wouldn't close up for a month (we even tried treating with antibiotics). she lives in a really big cage with three other sows and they might be barbering her though im not sure because her hair doesn't look chewed on, it's pulled out! what should i do???
thank you

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]i have a 2 year old female guinea pig. she didn't have long fur, but it wasn't very short either.[/FONT]
guinea pig has been almost totally bald for over a month. i've taken her to the vet 3 times and he has checked her for mites, lice and any other parasite. he also gave her ivermectin but it hasn't helped. i don't know if this has anything to do with the hair loss but she had a wound on her leg that wouldn't close up for a month (we even tried treating with antibiotics). she lives in a really big cage with three other sows and they might be barbering her though im not sure because her hair doesn't look chewed on, it's pulled out! what should i do???
thank you

Okay. I have been in a very simaler situation inthe past. My guinea pigs hair wasflaking off if you tried to pet her or stroke her, but it looked like she had drandruf as well. My dad suspected mange mites so hetreated her with a small amount of what we give our dog (I think it was k9 advantix but I'm not sure so I will check when I get back in town.) On the back of her neck and the flakyness went away andher hair grew back inabout 2 weeks. I'm not sure if this is what is happening to your piggie but I hope I helped!

Oh and I forgot to ad that my piggies got to the point where theywere completely bald and had scabs from biting and scratching from trying to itch themselfs

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to add that my piggies were completely bald and had scabs because. They were biting and scratching themselves because they were so itchy, creating woulds and scabs.

That much hair loss is either related to something systemic, or to fungus. Read www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for a shampoo that you can try.

But if your pig is totally bald, there's something likely going wrong with her endocrine system. Is this an exotic vet she's seeing? If not, I'd take her to one and see what that one says.

Also, over at Guinea Lynx, the user Tashab has a pig named Princess who had a lot of hair loss. She eventually got most of it back, but still has significant totally bald spots. You might read her posts (you can search for the user) and see if there are any diagnostic tests she had done that might help you.

You should try to find finding a different vet. Make sure he/she is exotic and has experience with guinea pigs. Just google exotic vets in your area and call around; ask about their experience with guinea pigs.

Hopefully this problem clears up soon! I can't imagine how stressed you and your piggy must be.

these are pictures of her after the hair loss

[GuineaPigCages.com] total hair loss[GuineaPigCages.com] total hair loss

this one is before
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100232367953536581982/albums/5710842507238170033

my guinea pig isn't scratching and she doesn't have an scabs or peeling skin... i still don't know what to do, but thanks for the help :)

ill try to find an exotic vet but im pretty sure that where i live there isn't one :(
the vet im going to is the closest one iv'e found so far...

Post the name of the city you're closest to, and we'll see if we can help you find a vet.

Have you posted this at Guinea Lynx? They might have some ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.