Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Torn about what to do about loss of guinea pig

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Our family is very sad today. One of our guinea pigs passed away this morning. She had been sick on and off since July, no conclusive diagnosis, just GI stasis. She'd get lethargic and stop eating, I'd nurse her back to health and think we were in the clear, and in several weeks the process would repeat. Each time she returned to a thriving state of health. Except for this time. Very sad, but I guess it was her time. RIP Fluff.

I've had a couple of days to think about this because I had a bad feeling about this latest illness, it came on too fast and furious - she barely even lost weight this time; just 50 grams. Our pigs were truly bonded, not just tolerant of each other. So I know that Marshmallow (the remaining pig) probably should have a new friend soon.

I'm torn because of Marshmallow's personality. Fluff was the dominant pig by far. But every time Fluff got sick, Marshmallow would become so much more brave and outgoing - laying in the open and generally a much less timid guinea pig. It was the only bright side in the many dark periods of Fluff's illness.

I like the friendly, brave side of Marshmallow and I don't want it to disappear. I'm afraid that this will happen with the introduction of a new guinea pig, so part of me is reluctant to get another pig

On the other hand, I know guinea pigs like to be together, so getting her a new friend is the right thing to do.

Is there a way to increase the odds that any friend I get her would be submissive to Marshmallow and allow her personality to shine?

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
I would maybe look at Rescues, and before choosing a new guinea pig, take Marshmallow to meet the pig at the rescue. It would give you an idea of how the pigs would interact together.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with above poster...take her with you to the rescue and see which one she responds well with?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Being she was with another pig, I would look to get a pig that she likes by having her interact with some in a rescue.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I would look into Rescues and see if you can take your pig for a Piggy Meet & Greet :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.