Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming took off Guinea pig spur

Kait524821

Cavy Gazer
So today I seen something on my guinea pigs foot ( which I now know is a spur) at that moment it was hanging off so I peeled it off thinking it was something from the cage then it started bleeding and I immediately cleaned it and put pressure to stop the bleeding and now I feel terrible because there’s an obviously open cut ( small and red) and after I cleaned it she kept licking it. I wish I was educated on them before because now I feel terrible for taking it off 😭 what do you suggest I do? Will she heal properly? I feel so stupid for taking it off.

Keep the area clean, and keep her cage clean so she's not walking on pee and poop. Watch the area carefully, and if you see signs of infection (redness, heat, swelling, pus, etc.), then get her to a vet for treatment.

Spurs can be trimmed, but should not be peeled off.

It's not a good idea to treat a guinea pig unless you know what you're doing. There is information here and at Guinea Lynx about all sorts of conditions that guinea pigs can have. I'd suggest reading up on something before tackling it yourself.

Ok thanks. It’s healing well so:)

Hi, you can buy on amazon Guinea pig first aid ointment. It's similar to a human Polysporin.
Basically it will help heal the food and help prevent infection.
Hope your piggy feels better soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.