Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Too many veggies = diarrhea????

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
so many people have been telling me lately that i give so many veggies to my pigs that they are going to get diarrhea(sp?). is this true? I give them a pretty generous amount. Probably about 3-4 cups of veggies a day.

*LovesGinny*

Cavy Slave
hm.. i know that if i don't give Harry enough veggies her poops get softer and not as neatly packaged... so maybe its the other way around??

I wonder how many cups of veggies i give Harry? I think i'll measure her supper tonight.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
To me that sounds like a lot of veggies lol but that may because I don't use a measuring cup I go by 2 leaves,1 slice etc. Most people usually give 1-2 cups (I think I could be wrong).
Do they have diarrhea? How long have you been giving them this much veggies?
I think it is probably ok and if their poops get too loose then just cut back on veggies a little.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
cinn, thats how much i feed. About three cups is for both of them combined, so its about 1.5 each.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
It sounds fine, l2t. You just don't want too many watery veggies, like iceberg lettuce (which shouldn't be fed anyhow).

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
If you feed them a lot of high water foods and feed them that much they probably will. If you have been feeding this much and they haven't had diarrhea then they will be fine. I feed Mu 2 bowls full every day (it has like a 6 in diameter and about .5 inches - 1 inch in height).

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ok. i dont believe the veggies are too high in water content. their main foods are carrots, romaine, parsley, and cilantro. cucumber and collards occasionally. fruit occasionally and as treats. everything is fed in moderation, except romaine - they get romaine every day.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
cinn, thats how much i feed. About three cups is for both of them combined, so its about 1.5 each.
Ok sounds great, at first I though you meant 3 cups each, I was like wow! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.