Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Too many grapes?

deborahjeanne

Cavy Slave
Will too many grapes cause diarrhea?

On the topic of food, I seem to have the only guinea pig who doesn't like parsley. She loves spinach though, but I see I shouldn't give her too much, why is that?

Of course she also loves carrots which she shouldn't have too much of either. She's just like me, likes all the things that require moderation.

deborah

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Grapes are okay, but not in great quantities because of it's high sugar count. Not sure about diarrhea. I believe spinach has too much of vitamin A(I'm not sure, I'm always getting my health problems mixed up). Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

deborahjeanne

Cavy Slave
Well she had this one really watery messy poop this morning, and I can't think of what caused it except grapes.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Spinach has a lot of oxalic acid which binds calcium resulting in less being available to the piggie therefore they could end up with a calcium deficiency. I think they can also lead to kidney stones. That doesn't mean you shouldn't feed it to them though. It's fine in moderation.

I think parsley is also high in oxalic acid. My pigs eat parsley but they flip for cilantro - you might try that. It's got a strong smell I don't know if that's what attracts them or not.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yep, too much spinach can cause kidney stones. A couple leaves of spinach per pig a couple times a week is ok.

Grapes need to be fed in moderation as well. One or two small grapes per pig each week is ok. Make sure they have no seeds in them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.