Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Tomatoes

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
Are yellow tomatoes and grape tomatoes okay? I figured yellow would be better than red because they have less acids. And aren't grape tomatoes the same thing as cherry tomatoes?
Thanks!

Grape tomatos are fine. They're larger and more oval than cherry tomatoes, but still tomatoes. I usually pierce them a little so the pigs can grip them better when they drag them off to eat them.

I don't think the coloration of the tomatoes matter, in general terms. I'm not a tomato expert, so I can't say whether there is a different sugar or acid content between the two. My understanding with bell peppers is the sugar concentration is different because it is the same type of pepper progressing through the ripening process. SInce yellow tomatoes are just yellow they ripen, I don't know what triggers it -- if tomato color is corrolated with sweetness.

Tomatoes, cherry/grape tomatoes, and tomatoes a color other than red are all fine and can be fed daily, though in moderation, because too much acid can cause mouth sores.

Okay, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.